Talk

Advanced search

Christmas... Need heat and luxury...suggestions?

(9 Posts)
Geordieminx Wed 17-Aug-11 22:56:05

Thinking about getting away for christmas this year. 10 days, 2 weeks at a push. Dh, ds 4.5 and I.

All I want is heat and luxury, but the boys want "things to do and see" hmm

Not canaries. Will consider anything else. Dh fancies Hong Kong, possibly dual centre?

TIA

Geordieminx Thu 18-Aug-11 22:02:45

Bump

icancancan Sun 21-Aug-11 10:00:45

thailand with stop off in hong kong? south africa, caribbean, mexico .........

Hersetta Sun 21-Aug-11 17:50:21

we've done Egpyt, The Maldives and the caribbean at Xmas and all three would fit the bill depending on budget. The North Coast of the Dom Rep would suit very well as there are a few things to do and the hotels are very family friendly with loads of activities for big and small kids alike. Would definitely reccomment either the Riu or Iberostar chain of hotel in either the Dom rep or Mexico (not Cancun) - both are first rate.

Geordieminx Sun 21-Aug-11 23:03:44

I could actually quite fancy Mexico, think it would tick most if not all boxes...

Can anyone recommend anywhere specific?

Hersetta Mon 22-Aug-11 12:04:13

I's take a look at the Riu Tequila in playa del Carmen.

suburbophobe Wed 24-Aug-11 22:23:41

Yea, Playa del Carmen, great - on the beach, the ferry to Cozumel 20 mins walk away and the temples near by. Plus it's enough commercial to take a nice walk down the 5th Avenue (buy from the Mayan women on the streets) but pretty laid back, not like Cancun. There it's all concrete blocks on the beach.
(bit like Torremolinos for the US)...

You can even go into the Walmart further into town, which is great for the US/Mexican "Tesco" experience and they have some nice cheap tourist tat - notebooks/mugs/coasters with Mayam temples on them - the Mexican supermarket next door is even more interesting for the local culture.

For teenagers it's great too (I had mine with me, he got invited out by the receptionists...came home at dawn -it was Ibiza in Central America...lol)

The Mexicans are lovely.

suburbophobe Wed 24-Aug-11 22:26:37

Anywhere you go really they love kids, D.R. Mexico, Jamaica, Canaries and travelling with kids is such a great and different experience than without!

And Mexican food is yummy!

YougreatPamplemousse Wed 24-Aug-11 22:28:33

Cape Town? Plenty to see and do and very child friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now