Talk

Advanced search

One day in NYC - meeting friends w kids- best places to go?

(17 Posts)
EldonAve Thu 04-Aug-11 16:05:57

Kids range from 1-7 years
Where is great to meet up?

EldonAve Fri 05-Aug-11 13:50:53

Any thoughts on Bronx Zoo vs the Zoo in Central Park

exexpat Fri 05-Aug-11 13:57:48

Haven't been to Bronx zoo, but Central Park zoo is pretty small so wouldn't fill much of a day, in my opinion - and my DCs were a little put-out that all the animals from Madagascar weren't there.... They do have some good penguins, though.

Advantage of Central Park zoo is that it is, of course, in Central Park, so when they get bored of the animals, there is the whole of the rest of the park to explore. And easy walking distance to other bits of NY of interest to small children, eg FAO Schwartz on 5th Ave which has the floor piano you can dance on - as seen in Big.

alarkaspree Fri 05-Aug-11 14:01:36

As a zoo, the Bronx Zoo is far superior. But it's very big and there's a lot to get around, I think it's a bit overwhelming for very young children. If you're staying in Manhattan it's also a long trek. If your main aim is to get together with your friends you'd be much better off at the Central Park Zoo. It is lovely, small and manageable. The whole thing takes a couple of hours and there are several playgrounds nearby in the park and the carousel for afterwards.

There's no good food available in Central Park so I'd suggest taking a picnic.

alarkaspree Fri 05-Aug-11 14:11:52

There's a map of central park www.centralparknyc.org/assets/pdfs/maps/cpc_central_park_map.pdfhere. The park can actually be quite hard to navigate so you might want to print out a copy to take with you. There is a wonderful playground just south of the Hecksher ballfields with lots of water play. There's also a playground slightly north of the zoo on 5th and 63rd.

Alternatively you might consider Coney Island. The New York Aquarium is there, which is good for a couple of hours, the kids could all play on the beach for a bit, and there are the rides that Coney Island is famous for. It is roughly an hour on the subway from downtown Manhattan. But if by any chance you are coming from the airport (since you're only going to be there for a day?) it would be very convenient.

alarkaspree Fri 05-Aug-11 14:13:27

Sorry, bad linking. Map of Central Park

Earlybird Fri 05-Aug-11 14:19:00

For that age, definitely do the Central Park Zoo. It is small, but charming.

You can also wander into Central Park, as others have suggested, and even go the Natural History Museum on Central Park West if you need/want something to do inside.

EldonAve Fri 05-Aug-11 15:07:02

Thanks for all the comments
I think we'll either drive into the city or take the train into Penn Station

TanyaBranning Sat 06-Aug-11 13:17:58

Central Park. There is other stuff to do there. Get nice munchies and have a picnic on the meadow.

EldonAve Sun 07-Aug-11 16:11:42

Thanks

EldonAve Sat 13-Aug-11 15:59:03

We have decided to stay overnight as DH wants to pop into work to see people

Am I mad to consider spending the day in the city with 3 kids and a double maclaren?

Earlybird Sat 13-Aug-11 16:04:34

Could you cope with your 3dc in central London? If so, NYC will be very similar.

Also, it may be helpful to have a hotel room as a base.

When will you be there? Wondering if August heat will be a factor because that is one thing that is NOTHING like London!

Earlybird Sat 13-Aug-11 16:07:28

One piece of advice though - get a hotel as close as possible to the area where you'll be sightseeing. It would be ideal to walk there and back.

Taxis in NYC are nothing like London, and I don't know how you would manage on a bus with a double maclaren.

EldonAve Sat 13-Aug-11 16:28:10

Thanks, we'll be staying in the suburbs near Pelham so we'll either drive in or get the train

Central London and kids I can do
PIL seem to think it's a terrible idea, dangerous etc

I've not been to NYC in years and I recall it being less accessible - more steps less ramps and lacking baby change facilities

EldonAve Sat 13-Aug-11 16:29:45

I will check the forecast, it's pretty hot and humid now and we are going to the city on Sunday

Earlybird Sat 13-Aug-11 19:43:48

Presumably your friend will be able to help you maneuver? That should make a difference.

If you're staying in Pelham <fuzzy memory> does that mean you'll go into Manhattan by train, arriving at Grand Central Station?

Unless you are spectacularly unlucky, you've no reason to worry about safety. You'll be fine. Just do the normal 'big city' precautionary things like making sure your handbag/rucksack aren't vulnerable (the same way you'd do if you were on Oxford Street).

EldonAve Sat 13-Aug-11 19:51:05

Sorry ive made the thread rather muddled

We are meeting friends on Sunday, then on Monday it will just be me and the kids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now