Talk

Advanced search

What rides are there for toddlers in Orlando?

(10 Posts)
mamma1mia Mon 25-Jul-11 21:24:54

Hi all, my husband and I are going to Orlando for a week with our daughter who will be 20 months at the time of travel ( feb 2012). I know she is too young for most things but basically hubby is having a major operation later next year so a holiday won't be an option for a long time. I would like to hear from anyone who has travelled with a toddler to see what their LOs enjoyed and any tips to make the holiday go well would be greatly received. Thanks

cookcleanerchaufferetc Tue 26-Jul-11 10:52:24

What parks are you planning on going to? If you are only there for a week then time will be very limited. I suggest Magic Kingdom as she will love all the princess angle plus there are lots of rides for her. Typhoon lagoon is great fun too but check out any age restrictions.

mumofsussex Sat 30-Jul-11 09:19:36

Agree if you are only going for a week then Magic Kingdom is the best of all the Disney parks to go to. Quite a few rides that you can take her on.

Seaworld is also nice, not so much for rides but having a look at all the animals there and there is a lovely kids play area called Shamu's Happy Harbour which she would like.

Universal and Islands of Adventure dont' really have too much for the little ones although there are a few play areas and DS quite liked some of the rides in Zeuss's landing (IOA) when we went last year. He was 21 months at the time.

mamma1mia Sat 30-Jul-11 22:30:55

Thanks for your opinions, will def do magic kingdom and sea world, maybe also animal kingdom as DD loves animals. We're not expecting to do too much with a toddler, but hopefully it will give us a good idea of what we would like to go back and do when she is a little bit older. Just got to contend with the flight, it will be the first time we have flown with DD, so will be a challenge no doubt. Thanks again

BiscuitNibbler Sun 31-Jul-11 08:03:52

We took DD in January at 20 months and I was amazed at how much there was for her to do in all the parks.

Here are the things she particularly enjoyed:

Magic Kingdom - Flying Dumbo, Carousel, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Move it Shake it parade (where they stop and dance with the crowd), It's a Small World

Animal Kingdom - Kilimanjaro Safari

Hollywood Studios - Playhouse Disney Show (now Disney Junior), Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area

Epcot - Character meets, Spaceship Earth, Donald Duck boat ride in Mexico.

She loved the atmosphere in the parks, loved the parades, the interactions with the cast members - even the buses to the parks. We took her on anything that didn't have a height restriction - even the Haunted Mansion ride, and she loved everything. She still talks about it now.

The flight was fine, much better than I expected. We took a couple of magazines (Cbeebies type), crayons and food and she was fine. In fact she played most with the tv control thingy, pretending it was a phone. Virgin also gave her a bag with a few bits in which she was delighted with.

You will have a great time, don't worry about it just enjoy it. I wish I had worried less beforehand! Hope all goes well with your DH's op.

mamma1mia Mon 01-Aug-11 22:35:20

Thanks for the tips BiscuitNibbler and the reassurance, I will try to stop worrying about how bad the flight might be and start looking forward to all the fun we will have when we get there. Can I ask what you did about a buggy? Was contemplating getting a cheap stroller to take but other people have said it might be easier to hire one at the parks although I'm thinking this might be a bit expensive?

mumofsussex Tue 02-Aug-11 07:22:14

Think from memory strollers were about $10 - $15 dollars a day to hire at various parks. We normally have our own cheap one (although last trip DH managed to somehow leave it at home in the porch when loading the taxi!) You can buy them very cheaply out there in places like Walmart if you don't want to take your own although they are handy to have at airport. I'd take a cheap umbrella fold one. The strollers at Seaworld are particularly good and my youngest two always love those.

BiscuitNibbler Tue 02-Aug-11 07:22:38

We took our cheap buggy with us. We were able to take it to the gate at the airport, which meant it really helped carting everything around the airport! You can hire them at the parks but it can be expensive. In any case we just found it easier to have it with us for in the evenings at the resort too. Some people buy them cheaply at Walmart when there, and you can also buy them in the parks in some places.

Before we went I bought an organiser thing to hang on the back of the buggy, which carried a surprising amount of stuff but didn't make the buggy tip backwards when DD wasn't in it. We got this one from Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/Sunshine-Kids-Buggy-Mate-Pushchair/dp/B001N75VZS/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1312265738&sr=8-12

Just make sure you have a raincover on the buggy and put it on whenever you leave it - we forgot one day and when we came out of a ride the buggy was soaked with a puddle in the seat!

mummytime Tue 02-Aug-11 07:39:02

Take a cheap buggy, which you can fold easily. Tie a colourful scarf or something memorable to it, so you can spot it again. Don't do too much, look at something like the Unofficial Guide to WDW to plan before you go. Have fun!
I've heard (and plan to do soon) that just wandering along Disney Boardwalk in the evening is fun, you can stop for Ice cream and they have street entertainers too.

Clayhead Tue 02-Aug-11 07:44:32

Disney Boardwalk in the evening is FANTASTIC - you can see all the entertainers and just wander.

Don't forget Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon - both have excellent toddler areas.

I second reading The Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld , it tells you exactly which rides and shows should be suitable and there are tons of tips (little things like they sometimes have story time with Belle next to the castle, where the little water fountain play areas are).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now