Talk

Advanced search

California inc San Francisco & Santa Barbara with teenage ds

(5 Posts)
mumblechum1 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:46:31

We're off for just over 3 weeks in California, dh, me and almost 17 yr old ds.

I'm hoping that, at least in Santa Barbara, it'll be safe enough for ds to get the bus into the centre and to the beach by himself and hang out, hopefully maybe get chatting to some other teenagers and make some friends (tho' he probably won't get the bottle up to start chatting to random strangers, if they chat first he'll be well away). Same for the first week which is in a one-horse town called Monte Rio in the Sonoma Valley.

Just wondering, though, whether San Francisco would be ok for him to wander around alone, and also whether anyone can recommend places either for him to go alone or for all of us to try.

Obviously he'll be with dh and I for most of the time, we'll go for daytrips etc but it's inevitable that he won't want to be stuck with us for the whole time.

Any SF residents or experts around?

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 14-Jul-11 19:50:04

I've always felt safe in San Fran, DH often goes there and I've taken DC from quite little. We usually stay centrally, and have got the bus out to the zoo, and obviousy the trams too. I've always felt safe. We rented bikes to cycle over the bridge - Bike the Bridge I think, then you get the ferry back from Sausalito, past the prison.

Enjoy - I'm envious! It's my fave city

mumblechum1 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:52:13

Oh, good. I am v v laid back about ds but my friend last night said she thought it would be q. dangerous for him by himself.(she has been)

Biking the bridge then getting the ferry back sounds like a really nice idea, thanks!

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 14-Jul-11 21:34:57

Bikes from Fishermans Wharf.. we used these

Obviously as in any city, he just needs to be savvy!

If you like walking go over the golden gate bridge and onto Muir Woods.. here

mumblechum1 Fri 15-Jul-11 08:29:36

Thanks RBOTP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now