Talk

Advanced search

Harry Potter at Universal

(10 Posts)
Lovebendicks Sat 18-Jun-11 07:38:53

hi anyone been yet & is it worth it? Also any clues as to what to do first, how long queues are.

Wormshuffler Sat 18-Jun-11 07:46:45

Hi We did it in February. Amazing is the only word to describe it! Our first day it was full to capacity and we had to get a pass with a time on it just to get into the village, then the wait was an hour and a half for the main castle ride. The next time we visited we just walked straight in, then had about a half hour wait.
My advise would be if the village is full to capacity try again another day, when it is so full you miss alot of the details on the buildings etc. You need to plan in half a day just for this park. We went back 3 times!

tribpot Sat 18-Jun-11 07:56:00

Will watch this thread with interest as I am hoping we will do it next year for my 40th (with ds who will be 6). As ever, I am worried about it for a wheelchair user (my dh) and also how soon beforehand I should book. I was thinking Feb half term as Christmas likely to be very expensive?

Wormshuffler Sat 18-Jun-11 08:01:39

Wheelchairs are not a problem in florida, they are totally geered up for them, the buses all have built in ramps and areas for wheelchairs to be positioned. We were there Feb half term, the first weekend was busy, but then after it was a breeze, and We needed sun cream! Christmas is the busiest time of year in the parks.

Lovebendicks Sat 18-Jun-11 08:42:42

Sounds exciting. Do you know if would it be worth staying in one of universal hotels to get in an hour early?

thesearemytwistedwords Sat 18-Jun-11 08:51:48

just got back-completly worth it-just stunning. We got to the ride for about 9am, so early but no priveledges as were not staying at attached resorts.(we just walked straight into 'Hogsmede) Would have been in the queue for about 30 mins but it broke down so ended up being just over an hour. Returned at end of day (7ish) and was on in 10 mins or so.
Dont bother to queue for wand at Olivanders. You can buy the same ones from a dozen other places and the 'show' is one child in 20 or so. People were queuing for that for longer than any of the rides.
Get some Bertie Botts all flavoured jelly beans from Honeydukes-they really do have bogey flavour in there-and the butterbeer is delicious.

Have a great trip.

Wormshuffler Sat 18-Jun-11 12:26:17

If you buy your tickets through virgin you get an extra early hour, but to be honest we never felt like we missed out by not having it, tea time was a good time to go, not too busy, and it means you get to soak up the atmosphere in city walk in the evening too. I second the butterbeer comment! it totally settled my stomoch after tha castle ride!

Lovebendicks Sat 18-Jun-11 21:50:26

Omg getting so excited now! Thanks to all who replied, now just got to persuade dh!

mumoverseas Sun 19-Jun-11 06:48:31

We went last October/November and it is fabulous, the entrance to Hogsmead is just awesome. Definitely get there early in the day, just head straight across to that side and work your way back.

Agree with earlier poster ref Ollivanders, simply not worth it. People were queuing for over an hour to get in the shop and buy a wand/twig. DD1 'had to have one' so she bought one for around $20 from a stall in the street. The kids loved the butterbeer and pumpkin juice from the stands too and the chocolate frogs.

Rides were fabulous, I gave the dragon roller coster one a miss but DC1 and 2 loved it and DC3 aged 4 loved the smaller roller coaster and we had to go on it about 4 times.

Main ride was excellent, special effects were brilliant, definitely worth a visit.

freshprincess Sun 19-Jun-11 07:13:35

If you stay in one of the hotels you get a free fast pass into nearly all of the rides throughout universal as well as an extra hour at HP. If you're going at a busy time it's well worth it. We didn't wait more than 10 minutes for any ride.

Ollivanders is really well done but they only pick one child out of the room for it do mine were a bit disappointed they couldn't get involved. And the room was quite dark which DS doesn't like.

My DCs loved the Cat in the Hat area as well which is the same park.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now