Talk

Advanced search

First time America help please

(12 Posts)
DuffyMoon Sun 12-Jun-11 12:29:25

Thinking of going next year in Summer (have to go in school hols) with 2 dd's who will be 16 and 14. Prefer renting a house rather than staying in hotels. First thought is Florida as there will be plenty to see and do for everyone but I believe the heat/humidity will be too oppressive.

Can anyone recommend other areas where there is a lot to do/see around central bases as opposed to hotel hopping every couple of days...and if anyone has any house rental recommendations they would also be very welcome...as budget friendly as possible.

Thank you smile

joydivisionovengloves Sun 12-Jun-11 13:52:30

Florida will be very hot and humid in July/August but there are plenty of great water parks too cool off in and if you stay somewhere with a pool it will be bearable. Obviously there is loads to do in Orlando to entertain teenagers (and adults).

Recommendations for alternatives really depend on what your family are in to. If you like outdoor activities then maybe you should consider going to somewhere like Boulder, Colorado in the Rocky Mountains. There's loads to do if you like the outdoor life.

My favourite city is Chicago. There are plenty of things to do, great architecture, great shopping, excellent museums, Six Flags theme park and a decent beach on Lake Michigan.

Let us know what kind of things you want to do and I'll come up with some more ideas!

DuffyMoon Sun 12-Jun-11 14:34:09

thank you smile

I suppose we really like doing touristy things...not big on walking/hiking etc...kids love theme parks etc...like wildlife and nature. Was thinking maybe the north east corner....Connecticut/Massachusetts...somewhere maybe equidistant between DC and New York....

As a family we dont handle heat well so whilst I think Florida would be ideal I worry it would spoil things for us...

smartyparts Sun 12-Jun-11 14:39:13

We go to Florida every year.

We have just been over Easter hols and weather was gorgeous. Last year we went in July/August and weather was v warm but we had tremendous rain every afternoon which curtails your activities somewhat.

MmeBlueberry Sun 12-Jun-11 14:49:33

What kinds of things do you like to do one holiday

DuffyMoon Sun 12-Jun-11 14:52:54

erm sight -seeing, theme parks, wildlife, lazing about, beaches, swimming, eating out...not really into anything energetic blush

DuffyMoon Sun 12-Jun-11 18:26:45

smile

DuffyMoon Mon 13-Jun-11 16:42:17

smile

CMOTdibbler Mon 13-Jun-11 16:59:12

If you like that sort of thing, then I'd go for Southern California. Weather is lovely with the coastal breeze and theres lots of theme parks

mrsshears Mon 13-Jun-11 18:47:10

I would second california.
myself,dh and our girls went last august and the weather was lovely(late 70's/early 80's),we stayed in anaheim and visited disneyland,santa monica,beverly hills and hollywood.
great shopping for teenage girls too!

DuffyMoon Mon 13-Jun-11 21:52:50

thank you for your responses...any east coast recs? Do fancy Calfornia though smile

CMOTdibbler Mon 13-Jun-11 21:58:08

I'd do Anaheim (Disney, Seaworld, Knotts), then San Diego. Driving round is really easy, and the nice thing about both locations is you can walk around downtown

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: