Talk

Advanced search

Any advice for a group of 16-year-olds going to China?

(16 Posts)
Mellowfruitfulness Sun 05-Jun-11 08:08:37

It's a week-long school trip, going to Beijing and Xi'an.

They're going to see The Forbidden City, an ecological village, the Terracotta Army, some hutongs, Tiananmen Square ...

What's polite/impolite? How should they greet adults? What should they avoid? What are public toilets like? What are the overnight trains like? etc

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 05-Jun-11 08:28:14

Would also read the Foreign Office's advice on China.

Theft of UK passports is certainly not unknown, these children must be careful with their possessions generally.

No such thing as health and safety, if there is a hole in the road for instance you are expected to see it. Toilets can be basic outside of hotels to say the very least. I hope these children are staying in decent accommodation.

People do spit in public, this is normal behaviour.

Mellowfruitfulness Sun 05-Jun-11 08:40:06

What happens in shops? Can you pick things up and take them to the counter, or do you need to wait to be served? And what are the prices like?

mumoverseas Sun 05-Jun-11 13:52:11

'nihow' = hello
toilets hmm not very nice.
shops vary, most staff very helpful and will always try to help you when you go in. Very cheap prices but a lot of tat/fake stuff

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 05-Jun-11 13:58:59

ni hao - pronounced as mumoverseas says - for 'hello', and xiexie, pronounced 'shieshie' for thank you.

Always remember to be polite and respectful to anyone older than them.

This site might be useful

Meglet Sun 05-Jun-11 14:05:43

Take biscuits / crisps so you can pig out in your room. If any of them are veggie be prepared to stick to chips and white rice.

The toilets were awful when I went 9 years ago, think 'festival' level of hygiene sad. I went to India once and they were just squat loos but all lovely and clean and didn't smell. Mind you the Olympic tourism may mean the public loo's are better these days.

Everyone was very nice in China. Forbidden City & Teraccotta Army are amazing.

I was only there for a week but even in that time I sussed out how to read bits of Chinese writing, it's quite logical once you recognise a few symbols.

Mellowfruitfulness Sun 05-Jun-11 19:46:17

Thanks for your help. That's a great link, BecauseImWorth It.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sun 05-Jun-11 20:05:21

Take toilet paper and baby wipes .... Toilets can be dire! Take biscuits and snacks as Chinese food is very very different!

rubyrubyruby Sun 05-Jun-11 20:09:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mellowfruitfulness Sun 05-Jun-11 21:23:10

Where's the best place to change money? I thought we'd go to the post office. And would £100 be enough, do you think?

rubyrubyruby Sun 05-Jun-11 21:54:37

rubyrubyruby Sun 05-Jun-11 21:56:41

rubyrubyruby Sun 05-Jun-11 21:56:48

rubyrubyruby Sun 05-Jun-11 22:00:20

Kiwinyc Tue 07-Jun-11 14:17:08

Take immodium...

Mellowfruitfulness Wed 15-Jun-11 23:12:00

Thanks all.

We're very excited. Not long now ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now