Talk

Advanced search

Barbados, August - are we crazy?!

(11 Posts)
Gorran Sat 28-May-11 20:05:30

We're booked to go to Barbados in August and have come across so many people who've said we must be mad to contemplate Barbados at that time of year, it's really taking the gloss of what should be a really nice holiday.

We know it's going to be hot, humid and will probably rain (not for long though, we hope!) but I really didn't think it was going to be unbearable - which is what a few people have said.

Has anyone been at this time of the year and can reassure me? Or not, as the case may be, in which case I might just speak to my travel agent on Tuesday....!!!

PalmTrees Sat 28-May-11 21:16:10

In the past I've been to Jamaica, Bahamas and Dominican Republic in August and the weather has always been fabulous. Hot but not unbearable and if it has rained it has been short occasional downpours that you don't even bother getting out of the pool for. It also stays warm in the evening but Easter and Christmas can get too chilly to sit outside after dark. I think you should go and have a wonderful time!

zalana Sat 28-May-11 21:39:02

Its not nearly as bad as Florida, have been to Barbados several times in the summer and although yes it is hot and humid there is a cooling breeze from the sea.
Florida I found was unbearable way too hot but Barbados fine, yes its not the best season to go but prices double during our winter and last Christmas it rained for several days in Barbados!

copycat Sun 29-May-11 10:17:37

We have been to Barbados and Antigua in July/August. It was humid and it rained (but not much at all) and I would definitely go again at that time of year.

Enjoy your holiday smile

LAlady Sun 12-Jun-11 12:03:01

I have been in May twice, once in November and twice in August. The best weather we have had is in August. So much so, we are back again this August.

LooloosMummy Sun 12-Jun-11 12:06:49

i've only been in feb/ march and the weather was lovely, but most people commenting on your choice of time of year probably have never been so wouldn't know. i think the weather there will be lovely, have a fab time and i'm actually jelous! grin

PestoSurfMonster Sun 12-Jun-11 12:07:52

Barbados in August is lovely, am very envy. You may get tropical rainshowers but they won't last long and it will still be lovely and hot.

Enjoy smile

ChippyMinton Sun 12-Jun-11 12:26:35

It's the start of the hurricane season, so just bear that in mind.

Rindercella Sun 12-Jun-11 13:36:03

It seems there may be a contingent of MNers in B'dos in August. We should arrange a meet up wink

Barbados only very rarely gets hits by hurricanes. The last direct hit was when my mother lived there in the '50s. There may be some rain, but usually it's over night. Of course, we may be unlucky. But again, we may just enjoy the usual fantastic weather. Can't wait!! grin

Gorran Mon 13-Jun-11 09:29:32

Thanks everyone, my excitement levels are rising again! Only 10 weeks to gogrin

spacecadet1 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:23:54

Was in Barbados in August 2009 & had very little rain. Yes it was hot & humid (but it is most of the year) but there was usually a breeze so it was bearable (& there's always the pool or sea to cool down grin). We were there again this April/May (supposedly the dry season) & the 1st week it rained & rained & rained sad. Bit annoying but warm rain much better than miserable British weather (although sods law, the weather was glorious over here!). Definitely go, you'll have a lovely time but take a brolly for any possible rain & you'll be fine! If it does rain, find a rum shack & get merry grin

Very envy, have a lovely time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now