Talk

Advanced search

Longhaul (10 hours) with DH and 2 DC

(8 Posts)
Cantspellmynameright Tue 17-May-11 19:51:32

Please give me your advice!!

I have only flown lh once before, DH is becoming an expert but it will be the DC's 1st flight.

DC's will be 5 and 2.5 by the time we go.

Most likely flight time will be departing UK at lunchtime and arriving at about 4pm local time.

What do we do about car seats (do we put them as cargo?) and the buggy?

Help!

edoli Tue 17-May-11 20:55:26

What airline are you going? Check out the inflight entertainment before you go, and you may want to request child's meal. Most airlines for 10 hours will have good individual inflight entertainment which would keep 5yo happy, the 2.5 will be a little more difficult.
Re car seats -you can check these in, or hire them with a car. Check with the airline on their website and see whether they count towards luggage limits. On the buggy, you can normally take them to the gate and them back as soon as you land. Hope it goes well.

squeaver Tue 17-May-11 21:05:06

Get yourselves a portable DVD player or take an Ipad or phone loaded up with films/TV programmes. Take LOADS of snacks. Don't worry about the nutritional content what they eat on the flight, just so long as they eat something. The little one will want to walk about - that's ok but be prepared for going up and down and up and down the aisles. Don't stress too much about what time it is at home or where you're going or when/if they should sleep on the plane. Make sure you both share the duties, so you both get the chance for a bit of kip. Sticker books and colouring books are good distractions.

Cantspellmynameright Tue 17-May-11 21:10:46

edoli it's good to know we can check the car seats in, do you know if there is a charge for this usually? We are taking our own as the flight is a relocation and we will be out there for a couple of years. We wont know which carrier for a while yet so will check them out when we know.

squeaver DVD player - check, crap nutricious snacks - check, no stress check grin

edoli Tue 17-May-11 21:24:19

I've never paid to check in a car seat. As long as you're not going budget (which I doubt for a relocation and a 10 hour flight) it should be fine.

squeaver Tue 17-May-11 21:50:28

You won't have to pay to check in the car seats.

Cantspellmynameright Wed 18-May-11 19:25:54

Thanks people smile

Kiwinyc Tue 07-Jun-11 14:15:16

Just make sure your DH understands that flying with kids no longer means you get to read that book/magazine/watch that movie like you can when you're travelling alone. You will get interrupted CONSTANTLY, you have to help them eat their meals before you can eat yours, and it will be a pita and you wish you could knock them out.

And take a change of clothes, esp. for the 2.5 for the inevitable spills. a pack of wipes is invaluable. And take a change of clothes for yourself too, my 3 yo dumped an entire smoothie over me in the cafe before we even got on the plane once and i had to sit for 5 hrs with my trousers and feet drying into a sticky mess!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now