Talk

Advanced search

come talk to me about florida!! disneyworld!!

(77 Posts)
themildmanneredjanitor Mon 16-May-11 18:13:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngryFeet Mon 16-May-11 18:16:42

You are soooo lucky! I have no advice as I haven't been for 16 years but just came to show my envy

Have a great time smile

Oh and for comfy sandals I have found recently that the Next T Bar flat ones are really comfy. Or wearing boating type shoes which aren't hot but are as comfortable as trainers.

themildmanneredjanitor Mon 16-May-11 18:33:53

themildmanneredjanitor Mon 16-May-11 22:09:01

AnnoyingOrange Mon 16-May-11 22:15:33

I usually wear trainers for the comfort factor.

If I wear sandals, I wear sports ones.

But you see people wearing all manner of flip flops too

walesblackbird Mon 16-May-11 22:18:08

I wore flip flops - my Crocs or Fit Flops.

It rained a lot when we were there 2 years ago in May (the rainy season came early) and there was so much water everywhere that it was easier to be in flip flops as your feet dried out quicker!

BiscuitNibbler Mon 16-May-11 22:20:12

I wore Birkenstocks - feet kept cool and dried out quickly in the rain!

Best bit? Tower of Terror!

themildmanneredjanitor Mon 16-May-11 22:23:54

hairypotter Mon 16-May-11 22:24:05

I wore trainers most days even though it was really warm. Took crocs as well tho. We walked so much that comfort was so important. Crocs were great for all the water rides but we had to take them off for a lot of the coasters otherwise we wouldn't see them again smile

When are you going? We are going back in september < bad parent emotion>

themildmanneredjanitor Mon 16-May-11 22:25:44

hairypotter Mon 16-May-11 22:56:45

Oooooh I had my 40th there two years ago, spent the day Discovery Cove swimming with dolphins. Fantastic holiday, dd's were 10 and 6 and loved every second of it.

Harry Potter wasn't quite finished then so that the first thing we will head for grin

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 16-May-11 23:02:00

I was there in June last year. Had 5 days in Miami and then 5 days in Orlando, of which, three days were at Disney (two at Magic Kingdom, one at Animal Kingdom).
I wore flip flops mostly. the only time it was an issue was when it threw it down. Even if it does rain, it tends to clear up very quickly. We had one day at magic kingdom where we were soaked to the bone, but then just tried out in the sun. After that first day of a soaking, took spare clothes for DD in a bag just in case as she was less than impressed being wet.
Tips: hire the strollers at disney, particularly if your child is young. DD was four nearly five when we went, and she's not been in a pushchair for years, but we found the strollers really useful because she was so hot.

BiscuitNibbler Tue 17-May-11 07:02:26

I'm going back for my 40th later this year, I can't wait.

Your son will have a ball having his birthday there. Make sure he gets a badge from either the hotel or customer services in one of the parks and then every cast member will wish him happy birthday.

themildmanneredjanitor Tue 17-May-11 09:18:06

shmoz Tue 17-May-11 09:55:51

Been 3 times, always in August and always been f-hot!

Get to the parks early morning ie as soon as they open, it's quieter therefore much less queuing for the mega popular rides. We found that we had usually done the park by just after lunchtime by which time it would get unbelievably hot, so we would decamp back to hotel for afternoon cooling off in the pool..mmmmm happy times smile

Kraken at Seaworld one of my faves (queue for the front seat, it's worth it), Duelling Dragons at Islands of Adventure also really good (and once you've been on one coaster (say 'fire'), you can avoid 1/2 of the queue if you immediately go on the other coaster - well you could when I was there anyway). Hulk at Islands also really good.
On the wet rides, expect to get very very very wet, I'm talking having a bath with your clothes on wet, but this doesn't matter as you dry out really quickly in the August heat. Popeye and Bluto at Islands is the best rapids ride ever, makes anything you've been on in the UK seem completely feeble!

Seaworld is a really good family day out, and I also liked Busch Gardens (it's a fair way away but worth it IMO)

Islands of Adventure for me was the best park by far, had loads for everyone no matter what age.

We always wore trainers round the parks for comfort, you will do A LOT of walking.

August can be quite stormy in the afternoons, we saw some spectacular thunder and lightning, v exciting - these usually blow over by early evening. They close the big rides during storms (for obv reasons).

You will have a fab time, enjoy grin grin

PS Definitely go on Tower of Terror, it's not as scary as you might think, it's the weirdest feeling - you'll be glad you did!

themildmanneredjanitor Tue 17-May-11 09:57:58

themildmanneredjanitor Tue 17-May-11 09:58:48

shmoz Tue 17-May-11 10:06:52

Oh, forgot to say, DisneyQuest at Downtown Disney is also brilliant.

lol @ see through clothes, you'll see a lot of that. smile

Buda Tue 17-May-11 10:18:52

Hi tmmj! We are going in July for 3 weeks.

I also don't do the big rides. I am official photographer and take pics of DH and DS instead!

DS did the Tower or Terror last time at age 7 and loved it. He says I am a wuss. Too right!

Would agree to get there early. We were always amazed at how many people were only arriving as we were leaving!

themildmanneredjanitor Tue 17-May-11 10:19:53

Buda Tue 17-May-11 10:24:18

Aim to get there about half an hour or so before the parks open. A bit of waiting around then is much better than queuing for hours. Have your plan of action as to what rides you want to head for first.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Tue 17-May-11 10:26:35

We used to get there early, well about 10:00, but then went back to the villa for a bit (left about five, had food) and then back to Disney later in the evening about seven/eight, for the parade and fireworks.

walesblackbird Tue 17-May-11 10:27:24

If anyone does like big rides you must do Manta at Seaworld. I positively pooped myself - at one point I had no clue whether I was coming, going, been or was upside down.

I knew something scary was going to happen when my ankles were manacled on sitting down!!

themildmanneredjanitor Tue 17-May-11 10:32:35

CanYouBeHappyAnyway Tue 17-May-11 10:37:16

we are just back (well, we went at Easter)

definitely trainers/something very comfy - there is a lot of walking/standing around.

our plan of actin was: get to the parks early (we were staying in a Disney hotel, so had Magic Hours sometimes. other times we booked eg a character breakfast, to get in early). by the time the par was filling up, we had done a fair bit, and were ready for lunch.

we booked character meals for some of these too, or other sit-down restaurants. this got us out of the heat for a couple of hours - a proper time to sit down, recharge, get re-hydrated, rested etc.

then, back to the hotel for a rest and swim (usually taking on a couple more rides on the way out), and back to the park for the evening fireworks/parades etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: