Talk

Advanced search

Almond Beach village - any opinions for a 40th birthday holiday ?

(8 Posts)
mel38 Tue 03-May-11 14:13:09

I am looking for a hotel in Barbados for a family of 4 2 adults and a 8 yr old and a nearly 4 yr old , we have looked at almond beach village and it sounds ideal but has some terrible reviews and i wondered if anybody had been or new somebody that had stayed there and could offer there opinion. Its a lot of money to spend if it is going to be rubbish

Thanks
Melx

mel38 Thu 05-May-11 10:01:27

anybody ?

MollieO Thu 05-May-11 10:08:22

I think it's expensive and by staying all inclusive you'll miss out on eating in the lovely restaurants on Barbados. I would save my money and rent a house instead. That is what we do. The house has a swimming pool, maid service etc. We tend to eat in for breakfast and then go out for lunch or dinner.

LAlady Mon 09-May-11 14:46:20

I've been put off Almond Beach thanks to negative reviews from people who have been there in the past.

I'd recommend Turtle Beach. We are staying there for the 4th time this August (6th time to Barbados in 12 years!). It has three restaurants and despite being all inclusive a huge variety of food available. You can also use the facilities and dine in the restaurants at Crystal Cove (have stayed there twice), Tamarind Cove and Colony Club too as they are all in the Elegant Hotels Group.

You don't have to stay in the hotel to eat all the time, we don't. Last August we stayed at Turtle Beach and ate at Daphnes and at Mullin Bay a couple of the evenings. Other times we have eaten at restaurants in Holetown and St Lawrence Gap. But if you want to have the flexibility and for the children to enjoy the facilites of the hotel (my two are 10 and 8 now but have been going since they were babies/toddlers) - ie) watersports, kids clubs and very importantly for them, making other friends to play with in the pool etc, then this is perfect.

I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about Turtle Beach - in fact there was a review of it in the Mail on Sunday yesterday. I have met people who go there every single year, they love it so much!

We also hire a car each time there - there's lots to do on the island - submarine, wildlife reserve, cruises etc

HTH

Liliesandveuve Mon 16-May-11 14:31:42

I went to Almond Beach Village a couple of years ago.
It wasn't wonderful, it was let down by the food and the general tiredness of the place, but the setting was fantastic and the staff couldn't do enough to help.
I really was expecting a bit more luxury, and was disappointed, but we spoke to lots of people on the holiday who thought it was paradise.
It was due for renovation(so the manager told us)
We gave up on the food and ate out for dinner, some of the restaurants were the best I have ever been to, but it worked out very expensive.

lucysmum Mon 16-May-11 14:39:05

would agree with lillies - very tired but could have been refurbished since. Didn't feel 4 star. Food not great, even breakfast buffet not up to scratch. I am sure there are better places.

mrswarbie Wed 15-Jun-11 23:21:49

I'm also looking at Barbados for Oct with DS (aged 2) and new husband - it will be our honeymoon! Love look of Turtle Beach - but DH not keen on the dress code situation! trousers and collared shirt... not his style on hols! any other hotel suggestions??

wotifwotznot Thu 16-Jun-11 11:21:21

mrswarbie nearly all 4 star Barbados resorts require that dress code: casual shirt (means not a T shirt, you can get short sleeved cotton collar shirts from Tescos for about £6) and men to have covered feet.
Basically means men not in flip flops, no 3/4 length trousers or shorts and no football shirts or T's for evening. Smart casual.

Also applies to resorts in St Lucia, Antigua and many other islands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now