Talk

Advanced search

Mauritius with kids - your experiences?

(19 Posts)
hmc Tue 22-Feb-11 15:48:57

It's dh's idea for a week in the summer. I remain to be convinced. He loves his 5 star luxury (and that's fine in hotels used to dealing with families)but one wonders how child friendly the hotels are in Muaritius since they presumably are aiming for the adult market predominantly - those who love Spa treatments and endless cocktails by the pool.

My dc are 6 and 8

Also what is there to do and see there? None of us are any good at exclusively beach and pool holidays...we like to sight see for some of the time.....

SnapFrakkleAndPop Tue 22-Feb-11 16:02:54

Come here instead. One island over grin and very kid friendly.

Lovely hotel

hmc Tue 22-Feb-11 16:09:30

When you say 'come here' - that sounds like you are there? - do you live on Reunion Island (or have you just had a fab holiday there)Snap?

witchwithallthetrimmings Tue 22-Feb-11 16:11:49

i had a real problem with mauritius when i went with dp ages ago pre dc. It is so beautiful. lots of snorkelling, diving and beautiful treks, gorgoeus street food etc. BUT the hotels are just far too segregated. Locals (well brown locals tbh) are simply often not allowed into to the bars and resturants unless they work there.

mole1 Tue 22-Feb-11 16:16:26

I can't really tell you about the hotels - dh's Dad is Mauritian and lives there now with lots of other family members - we visited a couple of years ago and stayed with dh's uncle and aunt in their beach front house grin - very nice!

In terms of things to do - we saw the 'real' Mauritius - the places the tourists don't usually go, ie markets, the public beaches where the locals go, the traditional shops and road side stalls. We ate the traditional food (Indian really in style). We went to a Crocodile park with exotic animals and drove up old volcanoes and through 'wild' country inland. We looked down from very high cliffs and learned about Mauritius' colonial past and dodos! We swam in the Indian Ocean and went shark fishing!

Don't know if any of this appeals, but it's a great place, especially if you have the luxury aspect as well thrown in! I think there's plenty to do if you want to explore. It's very humid, uncomfortably so if you're not used to it.

This has made me want to go back! Not much chance of that at the moment....

SnapFrakkleAndPop Tue 22-Feb-11 16:17:31

I live here. I wouldn't recommend emigrating grin but it's a wonderful holiday destination with loads of things to do, they love kids and whilst it's not as tourist/service focused as Mauritius I think it's nicer for that.

ThePosieParker Tue 22-Feb-11 16:18:56

A week? Such a long flight but no real jet lag, not much to see and the sand is too soft for sandcastles.....

hmc Tue 22-Feb-11 16:22:03

Some interesting and helpful responses here already - thank you smile

Yes mole1 a lot of what you described really does appeal....and now I also have Reunion Island to weigh up!

mole1 Tue 22-Feb-11 16:22:27

Agree with you witch - you rarely see tourists in the out of the way places. I think you won't see the real country unless you go out from the tourist hotels.

hmc Tue 22-Feb-11 16:25:01

mole1 - we would suffocate if we stayed in the hotel all the time, we would definitely get out and about. Is it easy enough to do self directed travelling etc (if we hired a car)?

mole1 Tue 22-Feb-11 16:43:51

IDriving is a bit hair-raising, some roads are in very bad condition, there's very little concern for health and safety!! I felt pretty safe there although there was a bit of an undercurrent of 'them' and 'us'. Dh's aunt and uncle had quite a lot of security on their house for instance.

The local language is mainly a Creole - French-based but not very easily understandable at all. People seem to be multi-lingual though in lots of cases.

hmc Tue 22-Feb-11 19:25:25

Ooh, we may be better hiring a driver recommended by the hotel then I guess....

PieMinister Tue 22-Feb-11 20:31:31

Went when DD1 was about 9 months and can't speak highly enough of the warmth and kindness of locals (apart from taxi drivers) especially to DD1. They were amazing - the perfect place for a family holiday for that reason (be warned, though, food is expensive, which was annoying when trying to find food to tempt a BLW baby)

2littleterrors Thu 24-Feb-11 14:08:19

Hi,
We go tomauritius quite often as my husband is mauritian, we,re actaully going over Easter. My children love it, they are 12 and 8.
We normally stay on a villa on the NorthWest Coast, which is very touristy with lovely beaches and lots to do.
But if you want 5 star hotels the best one to stay at would be the Royal Palm which is in the heart of everything and it is a beautiful hotel, the Queen stayed there once - also very expensive.
There are some nice 5 star hotels on the West Coast but they are quite far from everything and not much life around.
I suggest staying around Mont Choisy, Pereybere, Troux Biches or Grande Baie.
As for mauritian people, they are lovely, very child friendly, and the restaurants are all child friendly.
If your going to eat in the hotels then it will be very expensive, but if you go to restaurants outside the hotels then it's a lot cheaper.
Go on go to mauritius you'll love it.

timetomove Thu 24-Feb-11 14:18:03

We have been to Mauritius with kids (just a little younger that yours are now). Stayed at the Tousserok. It was during October half term and there were lots of kids. Any hotel that has a kids club will attract families at least during school hols. We did not really use the kids club (just for an hour or so in the middle of the day to get out of the sun or when there was a particular actvity they wanted to do), but we still look out for hotels that have them as it is usually a sign they will be child friendly.

We had a really fantastic time. We went for a week and although it is a long way the lack of time difference meant it was just about worth it. If i went again, i might add an extra day or two though.

Azure Tue 01-Mar-11 16:35:30

We went last summer for 2 weeks (children then 8 and 4) and had a fabulous time. We self-catered for the 1st week and stayed in a hotel the second. We had a hire car the whole time and had no trouble driving around and seeing sights varying from forests to sugar factories (better than it sounds!), plus we swam with dolphins (not the 4 year-old). Great holiday - the children are always talking about it.

BrookGreen Wed 22-Jun-11 11:17:04

We were thinking of going to the Touessrok in Mauritius - timetomove do you have any advice on which rooms work best for children? We have a 4 and 7 year old. Also, do you think we would need two rooms or would one junior suite be sufficient? (Which did you stay in?) Thanks for any info / advance.

Blu Wed 22-Jun-11 15:57:57

This is an old thread - hmc, what did you decide in the end?

I have been to Mauritius several times, as we have family there, and have stayed with family and also in some hotels.

Personally I prefer the southern half of the island to the north - on the West the Belle Mar coast down to Troue d'eau douce / Tousserok , then Mahebourg, Blue Bay. Or on the S W side Les Mornes up to Tamarind. The south is far more mountainous than the North, and you can arrange to go hiking in the mountains which is a great day out - hard to research 0 there is a visitor information centre on the central plateau, Le Petrin, that gives out maps. Otherwise visit the Black River National park Centre fom Black River, you can walk up the river valley, and again there is a small conservation centre which tells you about walks. But best to walk from the top to the coast and then get a taxi back up, if you have left your car at the top.

On the central plateau - which really does have spectacular scenery, you can visit the fascinating Temple and sacred lake at Grand Bassin - walk up to the litte temple at the top for stunning views of the island.

Driving conditions are improving all the time - it's fine. But traffic through Port Louis is terrible - avoid the whole of Port Louis and the motorway s passed Pheonix at anything like rush hour.

All resort hotels are rather segregated from local life, but it's eay enough (and v safe) to get out and about. The steet snacks and food from beach vans is very good - try roti, farata, the little samosas,and especially dahl puri - and very cheap indeed. I have spent months in Mauritius and eaten from vans without problem. Also try the tiny whole pineapples they sell ready peeled as a snack.

I have never heard any member of DP's family talk of actual discrimination in visiiting anywhere. The difference in economy either side of the hotel gates would be a strong deterrent for most people on local wages, but not race or colour - it is a v v mixed islan anyway, racially, religiously and culturally.

In law there is no such thng as a private beach and anyone can use the beaches in front of hotels. In practice the hotels make this vey difficult by placing guards on the boundary, building fences down to the waters edge and removing all the shade fom the actual beach except the sun loungers (most natural and public beaches in Mauritius have trees), so that it is impossible to sit there. I always make a point of walking along the hotel beaches from the public beaches whenever we are there.

Blu Wed 22-Jun-11 15:59:31

Oh, and the kids clubs always seem very well run, by excellent staff, and with good activities. We stayed at the very garish Coco beach (now redeveloped) - excellent childen's clubs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now