Talk

Advanced search

'Drugging' kids with antihistamine!?!?

(13 Posts)
YummmyMummy Thu 30-Dec-10 11:39:38

Am I the worst mother ever for considering this?

We're off on a long haul flight to the US in a couple of days and with 2 little ones with fairly strict nap/sleeping schedules I'm seriously considering using benadryl to help them sleep on the flight and so we can hopefully adjust better to the -5 hrs time change once we get there.

Has anybody done this?

I think it would make things much easier for me and the husband and far less distressing for them. They get very upset when they miss a nap/have a late bedtime but I just can't get over the fact that I am drugging them!

If I do decide to do it I'll have a trial run to make sure they don't react badly to it etc.

Have I lost my mind? blush

RockinSockBunnies Thu 30-Dec-10 11:45:30

You'll no doubt have a million posters jumping on you for even suggesting this, but IMO, giving your DC's a mild antihistamine when on a long-haul flight really isn't something that's problematic.

I asked advice from the pharmacist about five years ago when I took DD on a long haul flight to Asia. They gave us Phenergan I think, which I gave to her with no problems.

I think, though, that it sometimes can have the opposite effect on children and make them hyperactive and alert, so it's best to do a test run at home beforehand.

YummmyMummy Thu 30-Dec-10 11:50:56

I'm expecting it!

To be honest a year ago I'd probably have balked at the idea but realistically without a bit of help to get them off to sleep for a while on the plane it's going to be a disaster! Funny how easy it is to change your mind when it's you in the desperate position!

I was planning on discussing it with the pharmacist and not just picking up something off the shelf. I'd also planned to give my aunt who's a GP a ring just to check that there hadn't been any official guidelines etc not to do this.

I'll ask about the phenergan.

Thanks for your reply.

TinselinaBumSquash Thu 30-Dec-10 11:54:41

My sons CONSULTANT advised this on a 5hr car journey we needed to do. Unfortunately all the Piriton did was make them both hyper so if you do go for it make sure you have a back up plan of toys and snacks. smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 30-Dec-10 14:16:58

A 5 hour time change is quite easily adjusted to and children adjust far easier than adults do to this.

Would not use the antihistamine stuff on the plane unless you have done a trial run at home with it beforehand (it can make children hyperactive).

As an aside do not rely on the airline to fully provide re snacks for your children. Portable DVD player is also good as the content of airline entertainment for children can be very limited.

ForFestiveSake Thu 30-Dec-10 14:32:47

haven't flown in a while but aren't there restrictions on taking liquids aboard? Just something to consider.

ArthurPewty Thu 30-Dec-10 14:35:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mollycuddles Thu 30-Dec-10 14:43:38

I wouldn't in an under 2 as can cause heart rhythm abnormalities and about 1 in 10 dcs will get hyperactive (ds is one of those).

gregssausageroll Thu 30-Dec-10 19:19:54

Flying to USA isn't really longhaul. Longhaul is Australia/new zealand.

I don't recommend using medication on any child unless it is needed.

My son has always adapted well and has travelled extensively. Just go with what they want to do at what time they want. They adjust much easier than adults.

ArthurPewty Thu 30-Dec-10 20:14:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gregssausageroll Thu 30-Dec-10 20:15:33

Tis only 12 hours. Most flights are overnight so no biggie.

vegasmum Thu 30-Dec-10 22:29:57

Message withdrawn

2old4thislark Thu 30-Dec-10 22:39:58

Sorry but we did it all the time on overnight flights - they slept like babies through the whole flight. Better for them, us and our fellow passengers.

Had a very miserable long haul night flight without my DC's when another child ran riot ALL night, finally falling asleep on landing at Heathrow. I used to buy from a pharmacy in Canada or US for the return journey.
Would only use for night flights though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now