Talk

Advanced search

Barbados with kids?

(4 Posts)
honeybunnypigletpie Wed 01-Dec-10 18:19:15

Hi. I am new to Mumsnet, so please be gentle!
We are going on our 1st longhaul holiday together to Barbados as a family, (DH, DD 4yrs, DS 13months) and I'm panicking about feeding my DS, who still has his food whizzed up a bit. We will be in an all inclusive family friendly resort, but not sure what I can realistically expect.
Has anyone else travelled with kids this age, and have any top tips for plane journey, and resort food? Thanks

strandedatseasonsgreetings Mon 06-Dec-10 18:20:33

Hi - Barbados is pretty child friendly so I am sure you will be fine. We took dd1 to an AI in Jamaica when she was about this age and I don't remember having any problems with feeding her but you could always take some of those Ella's Kitchen pouches if you are worried? AI's are good because there will be a buffet so lots of choice for the dc's.

As to plane journey, can you take a portable DVD player for your dd? That's how we get through long journeys now. Or I download onto my netbook. We don't usually bother with earplugs but occasionally someone will complain so bring some comfy ones if possible.

Your ds will probably want to get out of his seat so be prepared for lots of walking up and down the aisle with him. And when it's all going wrong just remember it's only 8 hours of your life!!!

If you are looking for things to do in Barbados, the turtle watching trips are great, as is the submarine. (maybe not for ds though).

Enjoy!

beautifulgirls Mon 06-Dec-10 23:03:28

Are you at Almond Beach Village? They don't do any baby like mashed type foods at all there. Took kids there in October and DD#3 turned 1 while there. She survived on finely chopped foods from the normal menus which I either spoon fed her or let her finger feed herself and she did fine. Top tip if you are giving cows milk is take all your bottles to breakfast and fill them then put in room fridge for the day.

For the journey - do you have bulkhead seats? If not try and book them (you can call BA direct to do this, not sure about other airlines) and get a baby seat for your little one. Really was a godsend for us. For the older one, get a collection of new cheap things that will be interesting and have them in the bag ready to pull out when things get a little frustrating/boring. A good supply of sweets also goes a long way to helping. We didn't find travelling with small children that bad at all really though, the thought is worse than the reality!

I second Almond Beach resort - so family friendly, plus there are shops to the left of the beach in the little town, selling jars if you are desperate.

I got married there when ds was 2 and he had a blast. We are still in touch with one of the nannies there who cared for our son if you have any worries pm me and i will message her on facebook for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now