Talk

Advanced search

Getting around Dubai

(9 Posts)
raisinbran Fri 19-Nov-10 19:16:58

In order to to stay within the holiday budget. I have a booked for myself and DS age12 and age 7, the Premier Inn at dubai airport for 2 nights and then The Atlantis Palms for 2 nights,before starting a 7nt cruise in Feb half term.

I cant seem to find the distances between tourist attractions.Althougth I hear taxi's are pretty cheap i dont want to waste a fortune on travel. Which order should i see things?

1st night late arrival so straight to bed following day Kahlif Tower/ mall and fountains? Would we get the souk in too.

Want to make the most of the Atlantis hotel but is the Burj Al Arab near to visit for a snack and look round?

Is it only taxi's to get to the hotels? and to the sea port to join the ship how can i pre book.

Finally in order to make it back for school i will need to leave the ship early on the last night. Is it possible to get a taxi at midnight to the airport. Would I need to book a private car? Any email addresses/ recommendations.

Thanks

OneLieIn Sat 20-Nov-10 08:37:22

I can't help with specifics, but taxis are cheap and plentiful, but traffic is nothing short of horrendous so try and do your trips together if you can.

Amani Sat 20-Nov-10 09:15:55

Can u tell me if u got any good rates for atlantis and if so from which website

raisinbran Sun 21-Nov-10 08:20:03

I had heard traffic was bad but thought it might be improving as buildings are completed!

Atlantis the best price I could find was £238 for a deluxe room per night,however Netflights had it inclusive of breakfast which helps for the same price. It wasn't the most expensive of the beach hotels and as it includes free entry to the water park I figured it was better value.I think the Premier Inn was £70pn and it had really good reviews on tripadvisor.

JetSetWilly Sun 21-Nov-10 08:23:51

The tube system (at least some of it ) is useable now. No experience I'm afraid I only have family out there but they said it was amazing and very very cheap

raisinbran Sun 21-Nov-10 20:18:44

ok thanks hadn't considered the tube.

chippy47 Sun 21-Nov-10 20:23:30

New metro goes from the airport to at least the Jebel Ali area (which is beyond the Jumeriah beach complex -and the waterpark).
Local taxi's are everywhere (do not use the unmarked hotel cabs -twice the price). And they are all regulated -about $1-1.50 per km I think and they do not have a minimum distance -but looking at min 10 Dirhams per trip which is about £2.
Metro map is on the web. Go to the nearest station and then get a cab if needed.

willali Tue 23-Nov-10 12:52:18

Taxis are the best bet. NB you won't be able to drop into the Burj al Arab unless you have booked a meal. You will be grilled at the entrance and need to show booking documents before you go over the bridge to the "Island"

raisinbran Tue 23-Nov-10 17:58:56

Thanks all for your comments, I have booked a restaurant for the Burl Al Arab(at great expense even though it is only the informal cafe restaurant!) Just wondered if the hotel is nearer the Atlantis Palms or the airport for getting a taxi, may change the evening if I will be going out of my way.

wish i could find an AA routemaster equivalent for dubai.

Also as we stop in Abu Dhabi with the cruise for a da,y is the ferrari world theme park within reasonable distance of the cruise terminal. I am thinking it would be fun for my boys but also I quite like rollercoasters and speedy attractions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now