Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is Canada a good place for a family holiday ?

(19 Posts)
jasprite Mon 27-Sep-10 19:13:35

Hi - I am thinking of taking my family on holiday to Canada next summer and wondered if anyone has any thoughts/advice/ideas on if Canada is a good place to go with kids aged 4 and 2? I went to Toronto about 10 years ago and loved it but I am not sure if there is enough to do for a family holiday of two weeks? We are open to suggestions and like a mix of things to do bearing in mind we are travelling with young children! Thanks

liamsdaddy Wed 06-Oct-10 15:28:08

bumping, since am interested in the replies to this as well (although I'd more be tempted to go to Vancouver)

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 06-Oct-10 15:29:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JeMeSouviens Wed 06-Oct-10 15:51:16

I'd either do Vancouver, Vancouver Island and the Rockies, or PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. If it's a warm summer, there are some lovely beaches to enjoy on this side.

NickOfTime Wed 06-Oct-10 15:53:23

def rockies and van/ island if you can.

(but am trying to plan an ns/nb trip as am desperate to get over that side...)

GrungeBlobPrimpants Wed 06-Oct-10 16:01:25

I've been to Toronto (a long time ago, mind) and it was great for a couple of days but not 2 weeks

As dc's so young I think maybe west coast - Vancouver and rockies. Vancouver's Stanley Park is great entertainment and has some very nice beaches too. Rockies - pottering around or camping would be brilliant.

NickOfTime Wed 06-Oct-10 23:59:33

but mind the bears/ cougars... grin

Linnet Thu 07-Oct-10 00:05:55

We went to Toronto two years ago and loved it. We had a week in Toronto then 4 days in Niagara Falls then another 3 days in Toronto before flying home.

There was plenty to do in Toronto and Niagara Falls and we were never bored, my dd's keep asking when we can go back.

We've also been to Banff and Calgary, a week in each place, Calgary we didn't enjoy as much as Toronto but I think it was more to do with the time of year that we were there, May, so it was a bit too early in the season.

Banff is Beautiful and there are things to do there and in the surrounding areas,the Athabasca glacier is a must see if you are near it. We were slightly restricted in that we didn't have a car as neither dh or I could drive but if you can drive and hire a car there is loads to see and do.

hmc Thu 07-Oct-10 00:08:10

We did Toronto, Vancouver and Whistler. There was plenty to do with the children - CN Tower, Grouse Mountain, Bear spotting.....

liamsdaddy Thu 07-Oct-10 11:29:55

Before we had DS (18 mo) we went to Vancouver (2003, 2006), Toronto (2004 ish) and Calgary (2008).

We would both love to go back (would love to go live there to be precise) but we don't fancy a 8/10 hour plane flight with a toddler!!! Maybe when he is 4yrs+.

The issue I would have is keeping a sub-4 year old occupied. At 6-7 upwards I suspect it would be very easy.

Vancouver I suspect would be easiest, based on memory:
- Vancouver Aquarium
- Stanley Park trails (beware; the forest is dense in places and there are lakes/ponds/streams)
- English Bay Beaches
- Grouse Mountain (Bear spotting)
- Science centre (possibly more primary age)
- VanDusen Gardens (scenic, lots of interesting plants to look at)
- there are at least two museams, but again more primary in age
- Space Centre (Wheee! I wonder if they still have the sensory rocket ride)

I'm not sure if Capillano would be a good idea! although it is a nice walk.

(this is without heading to Vancouver Island or Whistler)

If you do a trip ~May, the main social streets of Vancouver can get a little rowdy when the local hockey team plays in the Stanley Cup.

We really struggled to fill 10 days in Toronto in 2004 (we found the a few museams/niagra and the cn tower). I'd love to know what else is hidden that we didn't find since we have a friend there who would love us to visit sometime.

ontariomama Fri 03-Dec-10 00:27:17

Hello! Toronto is a wonderful city, with tons to do, and can be enjoyed by all ages. In the city, or within very close range : Royal Ontario Museum, Butterfly Conservatory, Ontario Science Center (designed for children, interactive, lots of areas to explore and run about), Canadian National Exhibition, Tall Ships, Toronto Island, Canada's Wonderland....truly, the list is endless. If you would like to see the more natural side of Canada, Toronto makes a great launch for cottage country, hiking trails, camping, beaches, fishing, trail rides, boat tours, and more. If I were traveling with small kids, I'd aim to come during June. The locals will still be in school, so places are less crowded during the day, and it is lovely and warm, but not too hot. I hope this helps : )

2fedup Fri 03-Dec-10 21:13:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ontariomama Sat 04-Dec-10 02:22:02

Easter : ) The west coast is very mild, and is in full bloom then : ) or perhaps not if you have pollen allergies....

onmyfeet Sat 04-Dec-10 03:27:56

We are going next July.
Bring umbrella's and waterproof footwear. Spring, fall and winter are very rainy. It is glorious in summer.
govancouver.about.com/od/weatherinvancouver/a/weat her.htm
www.hellobc.com/en-CA/SightsActivitiesEvents/Attra ctions/BritishColumbia.htm?media=cpc&referrer=goog le-adwords&CMP=KNC-NA&HBX_PK=attractions%20BC&HBX_ OU=50&gclid=CImD7q_T0aUCFY64Kgod30hIkg

www.bidontravel.com/travel/vancouverweather.html

Jumpty Sat 04-Dec-10 03:42:57

Easter no doubt. Vancouver is very rainy in October. East is late this year so the weather will definitely be better than in October.

liamsdaddy Fri 15-Jul-11 12:55:39

Reopening this thread smile

We are planning to do Vancouver in May 2013 (yep, 2 summers away) as that will be our 10th wedding anniversary and Vancouver was where we honeymooned. DS will be 4.

Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation that would be good?

We are thinking more about self-catering and ideally somewhere with a separate kitchen/dinning/sitting area to bedroom. Not sure if we will need 1 or 2 bedrooms mind you.

cathers Sun 17-Jul-11 15:35:53

We stayed in the Sunset inns and suite last year. Big room, good kitchen and separate bedroom. Enjoyed it and was fairly reasonable too.

breadcrumbs Tue 19-Jul-11 14:08:37

Try OwnersDirect website (or similar) for great private rentals in nice appartments or houses.

TanyaBranning Sat 06-Aug-11 13:30:59

I have only ever been to the Toronto area. I'd say two weeks just in the city is too long. It's a lovely place, but ideally, a few days in Toronto and then a week or so in a lake house by one of the big lakes would be lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now