Advanced search

would it be vile of me to....

(27 Posts)
goralka Tue 27-Nov-12 22:38:12

shop my ex husband and his wife to 'benefit fraud hotline' -?
I would not dream of doing this to anyone else - but they claim to be unemployed and work cash in hand and thereby bypass the CSA and have been doing so for years.....and they live in London where there's plenty of work, it's hardly an economically depressed area - and he is an electrician and has boasted to my son that they 'make more profit' this way.
Meanwhile my car insurance has run out and so will the key meter soon....
He has not paid me a penny for years
from time to time I receive letters from the CSA with abstract amounts of money that he owes me but nothing ever happens.
so? would you?

goralka Tue 27-Nov-12 22:39:34

oh and he doesnt bother with Xmas or birthdays or seeing them....

ProcrastinatingPanda Tue 27-Nov-12 22:43:28

Do they claim Jobseeker's Allowance?

goralka Tue 27-Nov-12 22:45:18

I think so yes.....
which i don't really understand as I was on JSA for a while and there were so many interviews and proof of looking for work etc., it would have been easier working really.

CrystalEclipse Tue 27-Nov-12 22:50:03

Do it, but then I'm biased!

CleansLate Tue 27-Nov-12 22:54:11

It's hard to prove they work cash in hand, I think they'd need to see evidence to stop benefits/prove fraud. It would be easy for your ex to say you were making it up out of malice.

Though if you did report them I think (this may have changed), benefits are suspended during the investigation?

If you do contact the fraud line, have as many specifics as possible.

I do sympathise though, XP goes to ridiculous lengths to avoid paying the CM he should.

suburbophobe Tue 27-Nov-12 22:55:04

Are you ready to deal with the fall out?

goralka Tue 27-Nov-12 22:56:29

what fall out?
we are about as fallen out as possible already.....

Monty27 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:57:04

Been there...

couldn't do it personally. I really don't know why I couldn't.

FannyBazaar Tue 27-Nov-12 23:03:08

Not vile at all. Unless of course you agree that fraud is acceptable...

Redorwhitejusthaveboth Tue 27-Nov-12 23:08:19

If he's on jsa why aren't you getting the £5 a week via csa? That's pretty standard with benefits? As far as I know the only people who may be bothered and follow it up are hmrc- the tax man takes a dim view of tax dodgers - and yeah go on report because I am sick of paying my taxes to support idiots like your ex who don't even support their own kids angry

goralka Tue 27-Nov-12 23:12:34

well I did have a letter telling me about the £5 a week being payable to me, with no mention of how it would be payable.
Since then I have put in two complaints but they have been ignored...
I dread to think what working in a CSA office must be like.

Redorwhitejusthaveboth Tue 27-Nov-12 23:27:26

They automatically take it from his benefits and pay it to you usually direct to your bank every 2 weeks

goralka Tue 27-Nov-12 23:29:03

well as they never asked for my bank account details that would be tricky.....
angry - just the letter as I said.

SucksToBeMe Tue 27-Nov-12 23:31:37

Do it! You don't sound at all vile.

AmIthatScary Wed 28-Nov-12 01:08:56

I don't think it's vile, and I would have no qualms about doing it, mainly because I think benefit fraud of any kind is pretty low

Plus I think the fraud hotline is anonymous anyway, so not sure there would be any fall out.

He sounds like an arse BTW.

Hope things get better for you, though OP smile

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 28-Nov-12 01:14:24

bollocks to that, if he is claiming benefits and working he is defrauding the system that is there for real financial hardship. i have no problem in paying my taxes for those who need it. i have a problem with benefit cheats though - id love to earn double for nothing and not pay tax on it. but i dont as im honest.
i wouldnt hesitate OP tbh. its his look out after that and he shouldnt be claiming and taking cash in hand with it. tough tits.

MakeItALarge Wed 28-Nov-12 12:46:33

Do it.

You can complain annonomously (sp!?) and deny everything. They wont stop benefits unless it is proved. If he isnt claiming illegaly than there is no problem. If he is then thats hardly your fault!

Ring csa, demand to know what is going on, report it to your local MP. You can also claim compensation for any mistakes they have made, such as not collecting your £5 a week!

belleshell Wed 28-Nov-12 16:06:29

DO IT! its confidential how will they find out who if anyone informed them!!!!!!

PostBellumBugsy Wed 28-Nov-12 16:12:23

Yes, I would. If he is earning, not paying tax and claiming benefit & not paying any support for his kids, I would have no qualms whatsoever.

queenofthepirates Wed 28-Nov-12 20:30:54

As a tax payer, please do it. Might not feel great for a little while but you will personally be doing me a favour. PM me your address and I'll send you a cake to comfort you x

PoppyPrincess Thu 29-Nov-12 00:06:01

I shopped my ex for the exact same thing, he was claiming JSA and getting his rent and council tax paid but also working cash in hand earning a very good wage.
I was getting £5pw out of his benefits through CSA.
Anyway he got caught committing benefit fraud but he just got a slap on the wrist. That was it. No prosecution, no fines.
He still claims benefits and I still only get £5pw and I suspect he maybe still does the odd bit of cash in hand work.
So yes you could dob him in but don't expect much to happen or for it to make any difference to the money you get.
But at the end of the day what he is doing is illegal so why shouldn't he be found out?

PoppyPrincess Thu 29-Nov-12 00:10:32

makeitalarge I didn't know you could claim compensation for when they don't collect the £5pw.
Every few months my payments stop and I have to ring them and they say ''its due to a change in his benefits'' but they don't restart the payments until I prompt them. Over the years I must have missed out on about £100 that I was due. Might give them a call tomorrow

MakeItALarge Thu 29-Nov-12 09:00:39

I havent done it personally but have seen a few people say theyve done it on here, I think you need to put in an official complaint that you have lost money due to them, and getting your MP involved helps, but afaik they will pay compensation if you have lost money because of their ineptitude

ladydeedy Thu 29-Nov-12 15:08:32

regardless of whether he is your EX or not, or what impact that means for you in terms of what you get from him, if you KNOW someone is defrauding the system and deliberately avoiding paying tax i think it is your duty to notify the authorities. I would have no qualms at all tbh, whoever it was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now