Talk

Advanced search

Do you buy exhb/exdp a Christmas present from your dc?

(12 Posts)
Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Mon 26-Oct-09 18:44:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ninah Mon 26-Oct-09 18:46:42

I don't buy him anything and I don't look an arse to anyone - why would you?

Frrrightattendant Mon 26-Oct-09 18:50:25

No.

I ask the kids if they want to give other relatives/adults presents, and usually we end up getting something from them to my parents (who are really involved in their lives and deserve it!) but neither of mine knows their father so a bit pointless.

ElenorRigby Mon 26-Oct-09 18:53:21

DP buys his ex a card from DSD for B'day, xmas and mothers day.
I think that's enough really. Unless the split was very amicable or even friendly a card is probably enough.
Older DC could be encouraged to save pocket money to buy a pressie I suppose.

shockers Mon 26-Oct-09 19:10:00

Used to when ds1 was a child... he's now 22 and chooses not to bother.

mmrred Mon 26-Oct-09 19:15:55

I used to give DD money to get her Dad and stepmum something at Christmas because he has 3 older DSC's now and they all get him and their mum pressies so she felt she'd feel like the odd one out. Wasn't a biggie.

I don't have to now because she gets an allowance and is old enough to sort out her own finances at christmas.

elastamum Mon 26-Oct-09 21:03:23

I go shopping with the kids for a present for ex and something for grandparents (even though they dont speak to me!) I think it is important for them to recognise birthdays.

After we split up my ex turned up on my bbirthday with a petrol station CD and a card, which wasnt even a birthday card that he had signed on behalf of the kids. I was so insulted that I gave him a roasting for setting such a poor example to them - he got the point for mothers day I got flowers {grin]

floatyjosmum Mon 26-Oct-09 22:32:56

i have 2 exes and they both get different!

dad of dd will get a present from me and from dd.
whereas dad of ds will get bugger all!!

i work on the he gets what i get! my bday is before his so if i get a card he will, mothers day is before fathers day so works the same!!

about 5 years ago i bought him a lovely present from dsand he couldnt even manage a card so said present is upstairs in my knicker drawer waiting for ds to get a bit bigger and he can have it himself!

yappy Sun 01-Nov-09 23:21:54

My two tend to give the school photo's that you get at this time of year. I order them anyway and you always get more than you need. It means I don't have to try to choose something and it reminds him HE HAS CHILDREN which he forgets most of the time!

Spero Sun 01-Nov-09 23:28:49

My dd wants to get him something, and she is only four, so I will spend some money on a present which she says is from her... when she is old enough to have her own money, it will be up to her.

VineGuyfawkesFeltMyTits Sun 01-Nov-09 23:30:48

Yes, i encourage my ds to give his father presents at b'day and xmas, he is only 3 but he enjoys making a card and we usually just buy some choccies or make him something, like a frame with a pic of ds in it

My xp maybe an arse but he is important to my ds, so i do it for ds sake

Biobytes Mon 02-Nov-09 23:29:47

I bought gifts when we were in good terms. Hell will froze before I get him something this year.

He never gives me anything, DS is now making all the fuss about special occasions (party planning and cards) for me out of his own initative (weeps with pride)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now