Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else losing their dcs for the holidays?

(9 Posts)
passmyglassplease Fri 23-Oct-09 18:50:58

Am mega depressed as the dcs have been whisked away to grandparents as their father doesn't have the time to spend with them sad

I get many comments like 'lucky you' or 'wish I could have a week off from the dcs'

I am just gonna miss them so much they are my raison d'etre sad

anyone else out there feeling the same as me?

yerblurt Fri 23-Oct-09 20:02:52

You're raison d'etre?

... god help you when they grow up and leave home, what will you do with your life.

Children have 2 parents and love them equally, the children are not a possession.

Just be glad that they are having a good time with their extended family and developing those bonds with their family. That is good for their development.

Vidanueva Fri 23-Oct-09 20:20:20

The first full day of school was weird. DS2 has always come home for dinner and the change really threw me. I literally didn´t know what to do with myself and wanted to cry - no break, whatsoever. So, yes, I understand the feeling out of sorts.
Not everyone will understand - it is the walking-a-mile-thing, isn´t it?
The solutions are various:
keep busy
do nice things
do nothing and wallow (Why not? Why shouldn´t you miss them?)
get on a train and go to London, as in, do something you can´t do when they are with you
spend hours on the internet
watch films they wouldn´t want to watch
sort something for yourself
catch up on sleep
have a lie-in
Hope you survive OK and like everything, it does pass, before you know it, half-term will be over and they will be home.

passmyglassplease Fri 23-Oct-09 22:11:51

I don't treat them as possessions, they are my family and when they are gone I miss them.

I was expressing an emotion of loss, what is so wrong with that!

yeblurt you know nothing of my situation, so don't make assumptions

gingertoo Fri 23-Oct-09 22:22:33

I totally understand how you feel

My boys have had an inset day today so I got to spend the day with them but they are going their dad's in the morning

I know that they need to see their dad.
I know that it is good that they have a good relationship with their dad.
If their father hadn't left me I would never have spent so much time away from them.
I miss them.

So, op, missing them is totally normal and acceptable

I get through it by catching up on all my housework etc while they are away so that when they get home on weds, I can take them out for days and snuggle up with them in the evenings with a dvd.
It's crap, but I suppose we just have to enjoy the times when our dcs are with us

passmyglassplease Fri 23-Oct-09 22:28:26

et aussi yerblurt,si vous comprenez la langue française, vous devez également interpréter la expression "raison d'être.

Il n'est pas toujours simple d'exprimer

passmyglassplease Fri 23-Oct-09 22:34:07

thank you Vidanueva and gingertoo, I am glad it isn't just me who feels like this.

I understand that it is important to see their father which is why they are with him.

And yes I will go out, see friends, catch up on the house work and appreciate the time I have to myself, but equally I will be glad to have them home grin

Hope all the rest of you enjoy your space too smile

Vidanueva Sat 24-Oct-09 19:54:24

One day down, already, keep going. Hope you have had a good one.

Space - well, yes - I went back to bed, on my own without anyone shouting for help or attention. Got to the library, banks, and Asda without anyone pleading for halloween tat (and I like halloween tat!), plastic rubbish and half a dozen other things. But, it was great when they walked back in the door.

Chocol8isLikeaBeautifulEngine Sat 24-Oct-09 22:31:57

PMGP, imagine your children having a wonderful time with their grandparents and when they come back, remember how lucky they are to have a family. It might also be their raison d'être aussi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now