Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone do this Housing Benefit sum for me? It's a tricky one!

(3 Posts)
milkmonster Fri 09-Oct-09 23:02:32

I've put this under Lone Parents board as it's likely there may be some people here in similar circumstances as myself renting via Housing Benefit.

This will take some time unless you're a maths whizz, but it keeps me awake worrying at night for months so I've decided to ask for help from someone online who might kindly take that time for me. I would be unbelievably grateful to finally have this figure out once and for all...

I moved into rented housing on 18th July this year.
The rent is £560 monthly.
Housing Benefit is paid 4 weekly, so is calculated annually but paid 4 weekly.
That means I have £126.92 paid into my bank every 4 weeks, leaving me a 'shortfall' of £52.32 each time my rent's due, which is made up from my own income. But that balances out annually, so I do actually receive £560 a month over a year.

I paid £280 as two weeks rent in advance because I moved in mid-month. (As well as £870 deposit ), but that's irrelevant.

Due to a Housing Benefit (HB) claim delay, I then had to find another £560 of my own money to pay another month's Rent during the claim processing interim, which I paid by online bank transfer direct to the letting agency on 10th september.

On 11th september, Housing Benefit finally processed my claim and posted a cheque for £1051.62 direct to the landlord which it said covered the period 18th July-14th sep.

I then received a payment of £126.92 direct into my bank account.

What I need to calculate is, because I paid the £560 out of my own money plus the 2 weeks in advance when I first moved in, should I claim that back from the letting agency because the HB has backdated my claim to my move-in date, so the letting agency's effectively been paid twice, haven't they?

The agency's now asking for another £68.38 to bring my rent up to date to the end of October.

So on 1st November, a payment of £560 will have to be made to the lettings agency.

Can anyone calculate how much has actually been paid to the agency, whether they've been overpaid or underpaid, and whether I can claim back the cash I paid in the interim?

Paying in advance then having a backdated HB claim paid to an agency confused me once before , surely it means the landlord's then had two lots of 'rent in advance'?

Tocky Sat 10-Oct-09 10:43:13

The rent due so far was £280 for the two weeks in July, plus £560 for August, September and October. So that's a total of £1960.

Your payments plus hb payments come to £280+560+1051.62 which comes to £1891.62 .

Therefore the lettings agency are right in that £68.38 is still due from you to bring it up to date.

I think the confusion here is that hb pays in arrears, whereas rent is due in advance.

Tocky Sat 10-Oct-09 10:49:58

The £126.92 - isn't that your weekly figure rather than 4 weekly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now