Talk

Advanced search

Absolutely terrified - May soon be jobless. Support please!!

(3 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Wed 02-Sep-09 19:23:58

Hi everyone...

I'm a 24 year old single mummy, & I've recently returned to my civil service job after 9 months maternity leave. Prob = I didn't complete my probationary period before starting leave, & made a lot of stupid mistakes due to "baby brain"...

they've given me an extra 3 months probation now to "prove myself" but I heard today from other colleagues that the bosses are "keeping a close eye on me" and plan to dismiss me for poor performance at the end of my probationary period.

I am completely terrified. I only landed this job by fluke as I have no other office experience (although I do have a degree!!), so I very much need the reference to get another similar position. And I've just taken out a contract for 6 months on a flat and Nursery for my baby son...

how the hell do single parents survive if they get sacked??? Anyone been in a similar position??? I'm so so scared of making mistakes or doing anything wrong that I'm now even more likely to slip up because I'm a nervous wreck. I need this job so much but it just feels like a witch hunt

a very scared & sad BMW

abouteve Wed 02-Sep-09 19:45:54

This sounds tricky for you job wise feeling watched over. If you didn't have much office experience before hand then you cannot blame yourself. You are gaining experience so that is worth it in itself.

If you are renting your flat, don't panic, you will receive housing benefit to cover the rent and council tax as well as income support, until you can find another job. Financially you won't be in a bad position being a single mum. Nursery can also be given notice as you won't need it if you don't work for a while.

You don't know for sure whether they will dismiss you yet.

Meglet Wed 02-Sep-09 22:15:10

Are you in a Union? You could go and see the CAB to find out what you might be entitled to should you lose your job and they might be able to advise you on employment law and redundancy.

I hope it doesn't happen though and your job settles down smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now