Advanced search

Parental Responsibility

(2 Posts)
ohnobaby Tue 01-Sep-09 17:51:10

My daughter was born in Australia in 2008, her father is named on her birth certificate but we were/are not married. She has an Australian Birth Certificate and not a UK one. Does he have parental responsibility? My solicitor said he doesn't and his said he does! Confused, anyone been in the same situation?

Niceguy2 Tue 01-Sep-09 18:54:53

I'm no legal expert so can't say for sure if he has or not.

But what I do know is not to lose too much sleep over it. Regardless of whether he has it or not, getting it from a court is pretty much a given. I know of cases where PR was given but access denied. I even remember one lady who's ex was a convicted peadophile. He has no contact for obvious reasons but was given PR so he can still speak to school about progress of the child he's not allowed to contact. Go figure!

On a day to day basis PR means nothing. The old excuse of being able to sign for emergency treatment is rubbish. No doctor would refuse treatment in an emergency because the dad couldn't prove he had PR. Its not a document you carry anyway. I've never once been asked to prove I have PR over my kids.

So my advice is to proceed as though he has it because he'll get it regardless of whether you want to or not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: