Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Class reps and so on

(7 Posts)
civilfawlty Mon 31-Aug-09 19:28:38

Having done the equivalent when dd was at nursery, I'm well aware of how much work goes into this kind of role.

There is quite a lot of pressure at dd's school to do a year as a rep (4-5 per class per year) and frankly on top of single parenting, and a full on job (seeking promotion, so even more intense than normal) which means I don't feel like I see my dd enough anyway, I'm really reluctant to do it. And the other issue is that important things either happen after school drop off (am running to work) or in the evening (cant afford a babysitter, and am using up of the free stuff to juggle work atm).

I feel like I just cant manage to make this contribution to the school. But when I said this, a couple of mums rolled their eyes and said "oh come on, everyone's busy".

Am I being unreasonable to just say I can't fit it in? I'm not saying that they don't do great things, I'm just saying I cannot manage to fit this into my life.

And - does anyone else get frustrated when other people just don't get the restrictions of their lives?

civilfawlty Tue 01-Sep-09 12:32:44

bump

madeupsurname Tue 01-Sep-09 12:34:58

YANBU - bet you anything the mums who roll their eyes don't work FT, let alone have sole responsibility for a child.

Just say firmly that as a working single mum, you have to prioritise your free time to spend with DD.

Sympathy - it is very frustrating.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 03-Sep-09 22:17:02

Don't feel you have to justify it, just say "no, I can't do that".

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 03-Sep-09 22:23:25

I have never known personally of a school with class reps!

Just say no, you are not available to do it

elastamum Fri 04-Sep-09 22:49:07

We have class reps, but they are all mums with husbands who dont work. I wouldnt have the time for it either as i am a working single parent. I woould just laugh and say that i would love to do it if i had the time but i have to work as we have to eat, at that point all the stay at home mums get embarassed and ask someone else grin

oldraver Mon 07-Sep-09 14:14:51

What on earth is a class rep and what are they supposed to do ? Do they really need 4-5 a class. I have to say I do try and avoid being the parent helper in pre-school, there are always plenty of WILLING volunteers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now