Talk

Advanced search

What to give my ex for his birthday

(9 Posts)
sooey76 Tue 11-Aug-09 16:02:43

I split with my ex 2 1/2 years ago. we have 5 kids and stayed close. He always helped me out financially but lately can't find work so he can't. He also has new gf so I'm a bit unsure whether to just buy card or what ? I'd probably feel guilty if I bought nothing, but I'm not exactly well off plus whatever she gets him is going to take pride of place. He didn't buy me anything from kids for my birthday but our 4 year old had been hit by a car 2 days before and was in hospital.What should I do?

Curiousmama Tue 11-Aug-09 16:06:02

I always get my ex something as we get on well too. Just put it from the kids and you? I get him a few bottles of real ale and maybe a dvd? Or chocs? I never spend more than a ten or fifteen pound but it's something he's happy with.

hayes Tue 11-Aug-09 16:08:21

I do the same as curiousmama, never spend more than a tenner but get something I know he likes. When my dc where younger they chose it now they are teenagers I just get something for them ...they write card etc

ridingjoker Wed 12-Aug-09 07:56:36

my ex always ignores my birthday. so i always ignore his. and we are amicable ....now

Overmydeadbody Wed 12-Aug-09 08:01:23

I was going to say nothing, but if you always have done then just a bottle of wine or something from the children that you can give as something from the chikdren and you.

aseriouslyblondemoment Wed 12-Aug-09 11:35:12

i think a card would do fine really,get the dcs to make one

JJsandcat Wed 12-Aug-09 16:28:25

ignore the new gf, i mean who knows if she's to stay..

get a card and maybe a book, cd or dvd. something for him to chill.

sooey76 Tue 18-Aug-09 08:44:10

Just an update for anyone reading in similar position- don't bother, he never even came round for it- apparently new gf wouldn't like it!

thesouthsbelle Thu 20-Aug-09 19:51:21

I get something for my XH from DS, (he knows I get it all thou)

DS gives it over, I also sort out his mum/dads/neice's presents again from DS not from me. (mostly as with XFIL DS was the only one who bothered to send a fathers day card up, and he was made up with it, all the others 'forgot' apparently).

I spend no more that £10 on each.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now