Talk

Advanced search

Guess what Daddy gave us for lunch yesterday? McDonald's chips and a Kinder egg ...

(19 Posts)
CJCregg Tue 11-Aug-09 11:26:09

I said 'well, that's not exactly the healthiest lunch you've ever had, is it?'

'No, but it was the goodest'.

Don't even think it's worth ranting about, really, just wanted to get it out.

cthea Tue 11-Aug-09 11:35:51

Doesn't sound like enough food either. But they sound happy enough, so...

Lifeinagoldfishbowl Tue 11-Aug-09 11:51:53

whats wrong with it though hmm

MadameCastafiore Tue 11-Aug-09 11:52:44

God that would be my 4 year olds idea of heaven - and there is nothing wrong with it once in a while.

pleasechange Tue 11-Aug-09 12:05:58

do you never let them eat fast food? Guess it's ok unless he's feeding them this all the time

SOLOisMeredithGrey Tue 11-Aug-09 12:08:19

I would go mad! that's not food IMO.

colditz Tue 11-Aug-09 12:14:50

I solved this by sending food with them. My ex feeds my boys 3 or 4 nights a week, and they were being given an iceland pizza every night.

I know it's pandering to ineptitude, but at least this way I get some time off, they get to see their dad and I get to sleep easy knowing that their nutrition hasn't been horribly compromised hmm

Once in a while it's fine. But there are some people (and sad to say, dads seem to be in a majority here) who think nothing of handing over shite meal after shite mealjust to keep them quiet.

My ex would rather prepare the food I provide than pay for anything else.

cestlavielife Tue 11-Aug-09 15:18:00

depends - it is once in a while thing special treat or all the time?

CJCregg Tue 11-Aug-09 15:37:27

Of course it's not a problem once in a while, and I'm pretty sure XDH gives them proper food most of the time. It just underlines the Mummy=discipline/boring old sensible life vs Daddy=fun/do what you like syndrome, and it's SO bloody boring. It was the glee with which he said it that really wound me up.

ridingjoker Wed 12-Aug-09 08:14:25

well... its not going to kill you to take them to mcdonalds so you can see the gleefull little faces every once a blue moon.

there's 3 meals a day
365 days a year.
1095 meals a year.

surely if you give them 1 a month as a "treat" thats 1 meal in every 91 meals average.

i'm sure those 90 good healthy meals.. will more than balance the others out.

well... ok facter in ex mcdonalds too... and couple of other lazy routes when you dont have time/cant be bothered.

still bloddy good ratio of crappy junk fast food to healthy food.

i wouldn't go down the route of preparing meals. making rod for your own back.but if you do -

i did this for a while with ex.

then progressed to sending him some really easy helthy stuff which he had to actually cook. but was easy to cook iyswim.he paid for any food i bought.

casserole - bag pre-cut veg, chicken/sausages, stock with instructions to bung it in dish and bung in oven.

pack fresh pasta, ready made sauce. fresh pasta is ready in 2 mins it takes to zap pasta sauce.

and good old toast on cheese with tomato is great quickie. carbs, calcium , veg and some yoghurt and fruit to go after.

all things even the crappiest cook can manage. i did this for a couple of visits he had them.after 4th told him he was on his todd. he could ask for ideas....but was up to him to source aswell as cook in future.

ridingjoker Wed 12-Aug-09 08:16:04

apologises for rubbish spelling and grammer. still half asleep

Niceguy2 Wed 12-Aug-09 14:31:28

Why don't you just take him to Mcdonalds once in a while as well?

Its not going to hurt him as long as overall he has a sensible diet. You can enjoy not having to cook. Win-win.

Its got to be better than sitting there resenting the fact your son enjoyed eating a meal with his dad.

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 12-Aug-09 14:44:53

Message withdrawn

macdoodle Thu 13-Aug-09 20:41:02

oh come on at least he took them out AND he fed them - pretty good going in my book ;)

beenaroundtheblock Thu 13-Aug-09 23:37:01

gosh, I wish my daughter's ex would give her dd something similar. he won't allow her to eat any meat, cheese, tinned / processed food, mcdonalds or other fast food (he calls it all the food of our capitalist oppressors), food with e-numbers, fizzy drink, frozen food ..................

sunfleurs Fri 14-Aug-09 18:36:00

beenaroundtheblock your ex sounds like a right bundle of laughs.

I don't care about stuff like this, as long as they get fed is all I care about. Ds, he was 2, stayed with my in-laws once and when he came back at around 2.00 pm I asked what he had for lunch, "didn't have time for lunch" says MIL, well what about breakfast " he didn't want any" says MIL. Snacks? I said becoming hysterical "not really, oh tell a lie, he had some lemonade earlier". So ds at age 2 had not eaten for nearly 24 hours.

I am the food police now when ex takes dc to inlaws, always phoning kids around meal times to remind them to actually feed them!

mampha527 Fri 21-Aug-09 19:33:55

I hate letting them go and knowing that they probably wont see a piece of fruit all weekend!

But I know they are being fed, The only thing that is bugging me now is the fact that he thought it was OK to let them go without a bath for 4 days! (They were really smelly when they got home)

And he informed me that he almost fell asleep at the wheel when brining them home and wondered why I was distressed!

I am quite scared about letting them go with him again.!

sunfleurs Fri 21-Aug-09 20:36:31

God what a tool! Why is he telling you that, why is he nearly falling asleep at the wheel? Do you think your dc are being neglected when they are they are there? The bath thing would irritate me but as long as they were being looked after well in other ways I could deal with it.

My ds doesn't eat fruit or veg come to it full stop. He has ASD so that not such a big deal for me.

The comments about falling asleep would do my head in though. What is he trying to achieve with that? Ask him, say "and what am I supposed to say to that? are you not coping with them". Don't get emotional about it, probably that is what he wants.

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Fri 21-Aug-09 20:42:54

I can remember the first time dp had dd on his own, ( she was 2) while I was away on a course. I phoned home in the morning and dp informed me that dd had an icepop for breakfast. grin When I flipped as mothers of PFBs do he said
"what is your problem it is frozen fruit juice?"
Grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now