Advanced search

New single parent, what am I entitled to or 'may' apply for?

(8 Posts)
mummytowillow Wed 05-Aug-09 22:01:35

I'm currently living with my parents, I've got one daughter who is 2, husband is giving me £280 a month which I'm happy with. I want to find my own place, I have something in mind its £550 a month plus bills etc.

I have just got myself a job, 30 hours for £16,000 a year, I have to travel 30 miles each way to get there sad and my daughter will go to nursery two days a week at a cost of £70 and my parents will have her for two days. I have no savings and no debts, so my question is what can I apply for?

Housing Benefit, tax credits? I haven't a clue really? Will I actually qualify for anything and can anyone give a guesstimate of what I might get?

I'm currently receiving income support and child benefit nothing else until I start my job next month?

oldraver Wed 05-Aug-09 23:57:06

You should get some tax credits and help with childcare possibly housing benefit

check out

oldraver Thu 06-Aug-09 00:07:11

I've just run through entitled to quickly and it came up with

Child Tax Credit..£53.01

Working Tax Credit..£71.06

Housing Benefit...£35.01

I'm not sure how the WTC works so dont know i fthta figure includes the childcare element

mummytowillow Thu 06-Aug-09 20:17:13

Thanks Raver, thats really kind of you, need to fill the dreaded forms in now!!

thesouthsbelle Thu 06-Aug-09 20:28:11

alo see if you can apply for the 'run on' for your IS, ie they'll keep paying you income support for an extra 4 weeks while your first pay slip comes thru. how long have oyu been on IS? you might also get in work credits for £40 per week if on it for over a year, plus also £250 back to work grant. (over 6 months) your LP advisor should be able to give you a break down. I found mine surprisingly accurate.

oldraver Sun 09-Aug-09 00:40:17

Dont forget to apply for council tax discount. At £16,000 you wont get a tax credits exemption certificate or healthy eating vouchers but if you salary is a bit under that, tax credits should send you the forms

dani41 Wed 02-Sep-09 13:21:12

Hi, I'm getting working and child tax credits of £121 per week. My earnings are less then £6000 per annum, but I do have £13000 in savings (from my divorce settlement). Am I still entitled to tax credits? There was no question about savings on the form. Also am I entitled to housing benefit and will they ask about my savings?

oldraver Wed 02-Sep-09 20:10:02

Have a look at Entitled to. I'm sure they ask about savings over £6000 in connection with Housing Benefit. Or just ask the Housing Benefit/tax credits people direct

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now