Talk

Advanced search

life insturance for ds's dad who pays maintenance????

(6 Posts)
raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Wed 05-Aug-09 14:52:46

I really don't know about this, so hopefully someone on here will have the answer!

Basically, ds's dad pays maintenance, which unfortunately I rely on to make ends meet.

I have been thinking about what would happen to me and ds if his dad died (morbid thinking i know!), and was wondering if it is possible to have life insurance that will pay the equivalent of maintenance in case of his death? Does anyone know anything about this?

I know that ultimately I should be able to exist without his maintenance, and I am working on it, but at the moment I cant...

pleasechange Wed 05-Aug-09 14:55:20

He would have to take out the life insurance. It's not too expensive (best to work out how many more years to pay, how much a year, and then base the requirement on that). TBH though I'd have thought the more likely scenario was what would happen if he lost his job? (and that insurance is expensive)

ChasingSquirrels Wed 05-Aug-09 19:03:43

you can take it out - but he would have to agree to it.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 05-Aug-09 19:06:50

the IFA at my work recommended Cavendish for basic life insurance, for me it would work out cheaper than the best he could offer me, even with the % of commission I would get rebated as an employee.

mamas12 Wed 05-Aug-09 20:17:11

My solicitor thought of this and in my divorce settlement his insurance pays out to me if he dies before the dcs are 18.
Can you do that or are you already divorced.

raggedtrouseredphilanthropist Wed 05-Aug-09 22:17:22

thanks everyone.
so it is possible. I am sure he would agree to it, as long as I did all the work to get it and paid for it. I am not sure I would trust HIM to sort it out and not cancel it, so I would prefer to do it myself.
right, so another thing to add to my list of things to do. will check out cavendish soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now