Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about dating sites

(11 Posts)
SuperBunny Sat 01-Aug-09 21:01:41

I've been on POF and can't be arsed with all the tossers wanting to meet up at a hotel for an hour... are there any half-decent dating sites that I can browse when I am home alone on a Saturday night?

kdk Sat 01-Aug-09 21:26:16

Wish I could help you ... but if you find one let me know. Could try OK Cupid or if you don't mind paying try Match or eharmony?

SuperBunny Sat 01-Aug-09 22:25:08

I don't really want to pay at the moment, I'd just like somewhere to browse without tons of weirdos but I think that's what you get on free sites. Thanks!

ridingjoker Sun 02-Aug-09 08:30:07

whats your profile pics like? quite alot of what you attract depends on photo's and what you say your looking for.

if you have written your only looking for something "fun" or "casual", then you will only show interest from people looking for a quickie.

thesouthsbelle Sun 02-Aug-09 08:43:56

it is, i'm not a fan of pof.

dating direct is ok thou.

kdk Sun 02-Aug-09 13:47:14

thought you had to pay for dating direct? If not, might have to give it a try. So far have found POF and OKCupid a complete waste of time but thankfully not money - and FRD a waste of both!

Think maybe I'm just very very picky as can't stand bad spelling or text speak - or horror of horrors, badly spelt text speak!

I also find that men don't seem to actually read your profile ie I"ve made it clear I like the theatre, galleries, reading, eating out etc but still get Sun-reading types who like footie and whose social life revolves round the pub !!! Wouldn't mind if they looked like George Clooney but they all tend to be short,fat and spectacularly unattractive.

thesouthsbelle Sun 02-Aug-09 13:51:49

yeah it is, but tbh after the plums i've met on POF etc and other free sites I opted as a 'treat' for dating direct for 3 months.

thing is i've found it's usually the same faces on all of the sites.

SuperBunny Sun 02-Aug-09 14:01:31

My picture is just a headshot of me looking very normal, nothing glamorous. And my profile always says I am looking for friendship or a long-term relationship. Yet, still, odd requests to act as a muse etc...

kdk, I have a similar problem with people not reading my profile or reading it yet still thinking I might be interested in someone who has nothing in common with me and doesn't like children when I made it clear I have one hmm

kdk Sun 02-Aug-09 15:15:23

I'm glad to know it is not just me - I also get 20-year-olds despite saying I'm not interested in a toyboy ... and the messages that just say 'hi'. Never worked out what that one's all about ....

sazm Sun 02-Aug-09 15:28:14

a friend of mine uses smooch.com

greeneyedg1rl Mon 03-Aug-09 07:24:55

there's one called "loveandfriends.com". Or maybe .co.uk. You can do some messaging for free, though there is subscription fee to give you unlimited messenging.

Sarah Beeny (sp?) also had a site - something like "mysinglefriend". Not sure. You have to pay for that one, though.

Not used either, though, so can't give personal experience. I'm with the only non-numpty on POF!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now