Talk

Advanced search

remind me why im struggling to juggle work and childcare and bills when i would prob be better off on benefits!!!

(19 Posts)
juicychops Tue 14-Jul-09 19:36:14

got just enough money in my bank account for my rent cheque to clear. have £15 in my purse to last tim monday. got my fingers crossed that an un accounted for direct debit doesn't come out making my rent cheque bounce

stressing about changing all my working hours around to juggle my ds's new school hours from september.

have a low wage but because i work i will not be entitled to get free school dinners for my s when he starts school

WHY WHY WHY am i working when i am no better off than if i was claiming benefits!!! its so so crap.

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 14-Jul-09 19:37:38

yup. it is. But a life on benefits destroys your soul so you are better off working if you possibly can.

notevenamousie Tue 14-Jul-09 19:46:30

It is.
It is a better role model for ds. Better self esteem for you. Potential options in the future. But it is so so hard.

juicychops Tue 14-Jul-09 19:49:31

yeah i know, realistically i would hate to be on benefits. was on them when my ex first left but hated it.

its just shit you get no recognition for trying to make an honest living.

Lilyloo Tue 14-Jul-09 19:51:50

juicy very true and is a joke that others on here see fit to shove in your face how much bloody money they earn and don't know what to do with angry
Can you not cancel the unaccounted for dd ?
Am dreading having two lot's of school dinners to pay when dd starts in Sept.

LucyJones Tue 14-Jul-09 19:53:07

what about packed lunchrs? much cheaper imo

juicychops Tue 14-Jul-09 19:56:43

think i will have to do packed lunches. ds does want school dinners but think will have to make do with his lunch box to start with.

Lilyloo - yes it makes me furious, but there will always be people like that i suppose

dont think there is a dd to come out as they all come out at the beginning or end nd end of the month but its only because i am about £1 over the rent amount so if anything comes out il be screwed!!!

heres hoping...

ninah Tue 14-Jul-09 19:57:35

you do get free school lunches on a low income tho. You have to apply
and free prescriptions etc
tax credits
all helps. and if you're working there are more prospects for the future

juicychops Tue 14-Jul-09 19:58:30

the form ive got to apply for free dinners if you receive working tax credit - which i do, then you arn't entitled to anything

ninah Tue 14-Jul-09 20:03:00

Oh, ok, sorry
I had them for a term before I started work and then decided I couldn't stand the humiliation (neighbour is dinner lady etc) so changed to sandwiches. Since then school has been pestering me to take up again as they get funding - didn't realise it wasn't an option!

juicychops Tue 14-Jul-09 20:08:38

sorry i said that wrong!! i meant you dont get anything in the way of help! my ds can still have hot dinners but they are £1.95 per day = £10 per week so just cant afford it at the moment

NervousNutty Tue 14-Jul-09 20:10:11

Agree wholeheartadly with Hecate, a life on benefits does destory your soul, and you end up as a nobody.

ninah Tue 14-Jul-09 20:12:44

yeah, I can't afford to pay for dinners either, esp when mostly its beans sausage etc
Can cook better as cheap/cheaper for evening meals

ninah Tue 14-Jul-09 20:13:48

royally fucked me off to be arm twisted by school to take free meals tho, esp as it was in public - that's right Mrs Ninah, you are poor, and here's a way you can help your school

Wonderstuff Tue 14-Jul-09 20:24:15

Its a nightmare, but you are better off, as others have said you are providing your dc with a great role model and eventually surely it will leave you with more options. Everytime I get pissed off that my workshy ex-sil has seemingly more disposable income and a bigger house than me I have to remind myself that eventually my income will go up and childcare will reduce and I will be in a better position with more choices than her.. one day

juicychops Tue 14-Jul-09 20:27:44

yeah same as me. i know people on benefits and people on benefits comitting fraud by also living with their partners which makes me furious, but i have morals and could never live life like that knowing im steeling off others to better my position.

one day when ive finished my degree il be on a better wage... one day...

thesilverlining Mon 20-Jul-09 18:13:50

well we kind of all are on benefits aren't we?.....

I work too but receive tax credits and housing and council tax benefit - so in theory I guess my moral halo has slipped sadly :-(

Its so bloody complex but I have discovered there is a very delicate line for working - hours and formulae etc - I have finally managed to crack it - but I'll never be able to get a mortgage or anything which makes me very sad :-( are you sure you have got the ratio of hours to childcare and threasholds etc balanced or could you maybe delve a little more into that? ARe you getting HB or CTB?

equinox Wed 29-Jul-09 17:43:16

I think it is utterly ridiculous that although I only earn £7,246 per annum I will have to pay £9 a week for my 4 year old's school dinners once he starts school in September.

I would make him sandwiches but I think it is far better he joins in with the majority and enjoys a hot meal, I can't imagine him navigating a flask of hot soup which to be honest I can't be bothered to make!!

theoptimist Thu 30-Jul-09 23:19:36

I totally agree. I and my sister who lives on benefits (her choice!) had a baby at the same time. Her baby has all new stuff (she said- only the best for her little girl when I offered her some of the things I got from friends) and mine has freebies and second hand items. Oh well! She got a nice big grant, well two, and I received nothing. Oh and she drives a brand new car, has a nice new, free modern apartment, and plenty of benefits. She's just booked a holiday to Florida. I can't afford to buy anything! Oh well!, again.

But I agree with the others. You do have more options in the long term when you work. Like you, I live completely on the breadline and work hard, juggle kids, etc. But, I feel 'alive' and on top of things and I have an identity. I don't get bored, I enjoy intellectual conversations and I feel my life is fuller. My children also benefit from having a mum like this I think. Though I'm not saying mum's on benefits don't offer this, as everyone's situation is different and there are many intelligent, hard working, brilliant mums out there on benefits through no choice of their own. But, yeah, it can make you think why you put yourself through it all when you're exhausted from it all.

I started giving my two packed lunches for this year and cook a family meal for them in the afternoon/early evening. For packed lunch they are given tubs of fruit, which I prepare myself, cheese cut from a large slab of cheese, salad, and they have something like tuna sandwiches. They also have aptimal and yoghurt. My kids didn't really eat much of their school dinner, but they do eat their packed lunch so I prefer that. It seems to cost me a similar amount, but this way I know I'm paying for something they do eat.

I know what you mean about people pretending not to have partners, when actually they do have. I know a good few who live that way. I don't think it's a good way to live though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now