Talk

Advanced search

Did you return to your maiden name after your divorce?

(11 Posts)
whoingodsnameami Sat 27-Jun-09 10:26:31

My divorce should come through in the next 2 weeks, yay!!!, am undecided whether to keep my married name or return to my maiden name, I think I want to keep my married name as I dont want a different name to my children, however I dont want, soon to be ex H to think I am still trying to hang on, also having my fathers name is not appealing either, he and my H are on a par in the scumbag worldgrin

mamas12 Sat 27-Jun-09 11:05:29

It is horrible isn't it.
I stayed with married name in the end, I think it pissed him off a little tbh that he was still 'associated' with such a terrible 'mad, unfit mother' etc etc yeah yeah.
It is a long list of things you have do to change everything inclucing your national insurance. I googled it and I couldn't do it at the time I was too drained.

whoingodsnameami Sat 27-Jun-09 12:44:57

Thankssmile yes it is horrible, its like having to choose the best of two evilsgrin

TinyPawz Sat 27-Jun-09 16:02:30

I actually change my name and lo name pre divorce by deed poll.

In the end, it is whatever you feel comfortable with

sparkybint Sat 27-Jun-09 19:30:05

I decided to keep my married name purely for the sake of my daughter. I don't like my ex and it feels strange to be going around with his name but I think it would upset her for me to have a different name to hers. I've thought about going double-barrelled but it's too much of a mouthful.

monkeyfacegrace Sat 27-Jun-09 19:33:04

I did the same, Im not divorced yet (cant afford it), so just changed my name via deedpoll to get rid of any connection to the twat ex.

CarGirl Sat 27-Jun-09 19:35:49

I kept my married name and then when I married my current dh I have both surnames. When my eldest is much older/married then I will drop our joint name but it really matters to her that we have the same surname.

Stayed Mrs too, however my maiden name was a ppain as I ALWAYS had to spell it out to people etc.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 27-Jun-09 22:15:45

not yet divorced, but still using Mrs-ex, and probably will once divorced.
I have been Mrs-ex for longer as an adult than I was Miss-maiden name, and it is who I am.

GuessWhatIAmANameChanger Sat 27-Jun-09 22:19:42

I changed mine but only because my dc wanted me to (and theirs). If they had not minded I would have kept mine and theirs the same. Either way I would not end up with different names if I could help it.

SKYTVADDICT Sat 27-Jun-09 22:20:00

I am still Mrs Ex too. It was on all the bills, credit cards etc but I mainly stayed the same for the DDs. And also to piss off ex H and the new Mrs Ex grin.

Getting married next year and not sure whether to go double barrelled or not. Have two DSs now with new DPs surname so I suppose that would be the sensible way to go.

JackBauer Sat 27-Jun-09 22:41:42

My mum kept her married name when she divorced as she had been Mrs married name for 30 years and Miss maiden name for 19.
She did change it to Ms. her initial, married name and is very emphatic about the Ms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now