Advanced search

My friend says lone parents are entitled to help to pay for school uniforms?

(9 Posts)
Curiousmama Wed 24-Jun-09 19:45:18

Is this true do you know? I'm on IS and a friend today said that I should get help with ds1's school uniform as he's going to comprehensive? I've never heard of this?

FAQinglovely Wed 24-Jun-09 19:46:22

depends on your local council. Some councils still offer help - others (like mine) stopped it.

Have a look on your council website and it will say somewhere on there if they still operate the help or not.

Curiousmama Wed 24-Jun-09 20:03:34

thanks for that FAQ

GypsyMoth Wed 24-Jun-09 20:11:14

I get it ( beds) it's more if your child is transferring to a new school. It's about £20 per child. We also get a discount if we buy uniform from the school.

HecatesTwopenceworth Wed 24-Jun-09 20:14:09

Why lone parents? You could have a lone parent in a job earning them £100,000.

Does she mean people on low incomes?

UndertheBoredwalk Wed 24-Jun-09 20:16:07

It's not lone parents, it's parents on IS or jobseekers. And as said not all councils offer it. I'm in Liverpool and just today got my £20 cheque towards school uniform.

GypsyMoth Wed 24-Jun-09 20:20:21

We get vochers here, not cheques. Plenty of shops take them I hope now woolworths have gone.

Yes, you need to be claiming IS for it. Or jobseekers, possibly disability too, not too sure, but definitely IS

mrsmortenharket Fri 26-Jun-09 10:09:11

i don't think we get it in sw

bakerslovecakes Fri 26-Jun-09 11:55:10

my local ed department told me that you cant get it now even if your on IS, only if you have a flood or something like that. They told me to apply to charities for help but they said that takes months so i didnt bother.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: