Talk

Advanced search

Partner and I have just split... what do I do about work?

(4 Posts)
mamadiva Wed 24-Jun-09 12:51:10

At the moment I work 10 hours per week cleaning but me and Partner have just split and according to entitledto.co.uk after beneift dedeuctions I would be workng for £55 per month, as opposed to if I was not working and solely on benefits. IYKWIM.

I just can't see how it's worth the hassle because my hours are 5-7pm which is a pain in itself, but then it is an extra bit of money each month.

I hate my job but the money helps although because of the split it will help me a bit so should I work for £55 a month or give it up and spend time with my 3YO?

FeelingOld Wed 24-Jun-09 13:13:34

Can you not increase your hours at all?? May sound mad but if you do 16 hours a week you could apply for tax credits.

GypsyMoth Wed 24-Jun-09 13:20:25

Welcome to the benefit trap!!!!

I'd say increase your hours if possible. Have you worked out child maintenence.

Once you go on benefits, it's bloody hard to get off them again!

FeelingOld Wed 24-Jun-09 13:26:56

I too think increasing your hours is the best way to go, it works for me anyway. I dont get any child maintenance but I do get child tax credits and working tax credits (or whatever its called now) and I also get housing benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now