Talk

Advanced search

Going to visit college for myself next week, tell me it could be possible

(14 Posts)
NoMoreNagging Mon 15-Jun-09 23:36:42

I have 2 dc and my biggest wish befor eit's toolate is to get some qualifications or training so that i can work ina decent job when they are older. Has anyone managed to study alone and do you now have huge debts?

I've set my heart on doing a foundation degree in computing but I am so worried that I'll come out of the interview thinking it'll never work out. I can study part time so I could work abit but how will I finance it all, should I risk building up debts now as I'll have to support my dc for years too?

perplexedregular Mon 15-Jun-09 23:43:44

I'm sure there must be funding available - ask the college? I am doing an NVQ childcare which is fully funded and working part time
best thing I ever did

NoMoreNagging Mon 15-Jun-09 23:46:59

I bet it is! I can't wait to start doing something with my life, not just being the housewife and slave.

What does fully funded mean? Do you have to pay it back when you earn above a certain amount? If so how long do you get to pay it abck? Sorry, but I am asking because I don't have any savings as it is.

MuppetsMuggle Mon 15-Jun-09 23:50:20

If you are studying for your first level 2 qualification and you are in receipt of benefits such as income support or tax credits then you are entitled to full help.

perplexedregular Mon 15-Jun-09 23:50:46

no I did not have to make any payment at all, govt initiative for retraining I believe
might be different for a degree but the college will know or be able to point you in the right direction

LastOrders Mon 15-Jun-09 23:51:31

I'm off to college full time in september and i GET THE FEES PAID (DON'T HAVE to pay them back) and books paid for, maybe travel expenses too.

Look into it, if it seems realsitic (sp) then go for it. I'm really excited about doing it now.

Sorry about caps up there btw!

NoMoreNagging Mon 15-Jun-09 23:53:09

well I can keep my hopes up by the sound of it! Do you think the college will advise me of all possibilities or should I go to some where like CAB to learn about all my options?

perplexedregular Mon 15-Jun-09 23:56:01

why not give college a ring first and ask if they can advise you, if not they will know where to go
not found CAB that helpful in the past lots of queuing and not clued up on lone parent issues - could have been unlucky tho

NoMoreNagging Tue 16-Jun-09 11:31:30

LastOrders, can you tell me more? Did you find out which course you wanted to do or was it suggested to you (thinking maybe only certain courses might be available)?

LastOrders Tue 16-Jun-09 12:55:02

Nomorenagging - I've gotta pop out, but I need to whizz off, so not ignoring you and will be back tonight.

Only popped by for a quick gander.

Be back later smile

NoMoreNagging Wed 17-Jun-09 11:44:52

Thanks lastorders, will check back in tonight too as I go on Friday to visit the college so it would be good if I knew what is available before.

LastOrders Wed 17-Jun-09 20:57:57

I'm back!

I decided what I wanted to do, knowing it would be a higher education course as I have no other qualifications, other than GCSEs, and phoned the college. They were great, gave me advice and then sent me an app form.

I knew I wanted to go onto uni, knew I wanted to go into social work/care, so they sent me all relevant options.

Have you got any idea what you want to do? Full time/part time? What quals do you have already?

I got all my paperwork through today. I get the course paid for me, help with book costs and maybe transport (if I live over 4 miles away, gotta check that out) and a bursary for general living expenses. I don't know what will happen with benefits, guessing I get full housing/council tax, as I won't be working, should get child tax still, but I think the bursary replaces income support, but gotta check that out.

I've gotta go into this full-time-all-guns-blazing in order to get the funding, otherwise I won't be able to do it. It sounds great that I get everything paid and the nice life of a student hmm, but this is my last chance at anything in life. And it's coming at a cost - no more children sad as theres no point doing this, getting my dream job at the age of 35 and then stopping to have another child. It's just me and DS! <comforting thought smile>

MrsBonJovi Sat 20-Jun-09 19:18:28

You are right any student grant/busary is normally more than the I.S amount so you will prob just get busary.

good luck Im looking at doing something similar in sept

Pinkcaz Tue 14-Jul-09 19:31:37

Hello All

I am pregnant with my first and due in Novemeber. I am doing this alone which is fine I work in Admin at the moment and must admit i get bored very easily - so I was looking at this time as a perfect time to go back to Uni Sept 2010 and re-train - thinking of going into Youth work as the local Uni does a good course there but was worried about how the costs worked - but there is some great advice there thanks guys

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now