Talk

Advanced search

Something to cheer us up - really lovely article about being a single parent in Guardian

(9 Posts)
possiblymaybe Sun 14-Jun-09 11:28:24

here

GeneHunt Sun 14-Jun-09 11:40:40

Very good.

starshaker Sun 14-Jun-09 11:49:28

so true

Chandra Sun 14-Jun-09 13:22:16

I found some points I disagree with but I think her saying this is so very TRUE:

"While the pain of divorce and separation is often discussed and fictionalised, quantifying the pain and damage of staying together for the children is rarely examined."

I feel sad sometime for people who think that it is better to stay in a unhappy relationship for the sake of the children as it may not be in the best interest of the children either.

It wold be fantastic for people to know that being a traditional, separate, blended, etc family, doesn't mean the children are less or more happy than in another setting. It is about individuals living happily together rather than to stick to molds that may make the same individuals unhappy.

zookeeper Sun 14-Jun-09 13:31:20

Yes Chandra my home is a far far happier one now that it does not have two adults constantly arguing. I know without a shadow of doubt I have done the best I can for my children by ending arelationship that was negative in many respect.

Chandra Sun 14-Jun-09 14:10:41

I was also touched by the part where it mentions that many marriages are, in practice, single parenthoods as one of the parents is dealing with all the parenting while the other one is outside earning the money. Obviously, that is not the rule but I think it happens a lot.

poshsinglemum Mon 15-Jun-09 13:19:35

Thank god- a newspaper that is prepared to listen to the voice of single parents instead of making them scapegoats. I feel a lot better after reading that!

ninah Mon 15-Jun-09 15:06:55

thanks smile

northlondonmumma Tue 16-Jun-09 22:59:15

thanks for the post on this - was good to read

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now