Talk

Advanced search

So-Off for my first night out since the "split" and am nervous...

(8 Posts)
whooosh Sat 30-May-09 19:03:53

XP only left me 8 weeks ago so am still pretty fragile.
Lovely school Mum has invited me to a party tonight where I will know a few people but all will be couples.
Not been a singleton for 15yrs and am really nervous.....any tips?

ChasingSquirrels Sat 30-May-09 19:05:12

just go with the flow, have a lovely time.

oxocube Sat 30-May-09 19:13:00

Well, its not a date and you know enough people to strike up a conversation, so I think you just have to be yourself and enjoy! Am sure the mum who invited you will look after you. What is the occasion and what are you wearing? smile

whooosh Sat 30-May-09 19:19:44

It's the Mum's birthday-they have a fantastic house and have caterers doing the food.
No money to buy new outfit (and have lost 2 stone since DP left) so am wearing straight jeans (it is a barbeque)with a grey chiffon beaded tunic.Both of which will be beltedwink
Feel slightly inferior at thebest of times with these people who all have very successful husbands and lovely houses.The ones I know however,are very nice,I am just not good at striking up conversations with people already in groups......sad

oxocube Sat 30-May-09 19:33:37

I know how you feel - I am married but often go to social things on my own as DH not interested. Am also not good at small talk but usually find someone to chat to about some common interest. The outfit sounds fab and although the weight loss is most likely through stress, you probably look fabulous!

One thing I have learned is that just because people have money and a seemingly perfect lifestyle does not mean they are necessarily happy. You are just as interesting and 'worthy' as they are smile

Hope you have lovely evening - great weather for a BBQ

whooosh Sun 31-May-09 09:42:56

Well the good news is I had a great time...only wish I had stayed longer but the offer of a lift home early versus a very expensive taxi won.

Janos Sun 31-May-09 14:31:55

Glad you had a good time whoosh. It is a bit a bit nerve wracking at first, but you soon start enjoying it

oxocube Sun 31-May-09 21:09:08

Good for you Whooosh! I was thinking about you last night smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now