Talk

Advanced search

A newly single mum-some advice needed!

(9 Posts)
niakov Sun 15-Feb-09 10:59:10

Hi everyone, my husband left me two weeks ago having just moved into a new property. I have a 3 years old daughter who goes to a full time nursery from 9 to 4. I am still finding my feet and feel very strange but happy in a way because things were not going well for awhile. I am now on income support but want to find a job. What kind of jobs do you guys have?I am so stuck. I have completed one and half years of a degree in English but had to stop it now as I need to get a job. I don't see myself in a typical office job, I would find that boring and depressing. I don't want to work in childcare as my daughter's nursery manager suggested. Do all single parents work in childcare so they can be with their kids? I want to do something more exciting. I have always had an interest in make up and maybe being self-employed? I have no idea, any suggestions?

mamas12 Sun 15-Feb-09 11:49:25

I would say finish your studies. There is a lot of help out there for women to do that at the moment. Go to your local jobcentre.

MitchyInge Sun 15-Feb-09 11:55:16

oh you must finish your degree - you are halfway there!

could you take your existing credits to the OU and do courses that way? I think you can get help with course fees when you are on certain benefits?

I'm self-employed in a few overlapping capacities and it's just about flexible enough to fit around my 9yo (I also have an 18 and 16yo), have been a single parent since the eldest was about 4

Coldtits Sun 15-Feb-09 11:58:18

Finish your degree. Your employment prosp[ects will be so much better in the long run if you finish that degree. Don't do childcare if you can do something better - it's low paid, hard work and is often dead end.

niakov Sun 15-Feb-09 12:06:34

Thank you for your advices. I am planning to transfer my credits to the open university and complete an open degree. I was so bored with studying English, I am finish off with something else. I have applied for jobs in the police and NHS. I have always wanted to do something that is government based but all these jobs require shift work. If I don't go and become a make up artist then I would probably want to work in the criminal justice system or the police force but it is not a 9-5 job. I just can't make up my mind.

CatchaStar Sun 15-Feb-09 12:13:06

I did my first year at uni whilst pregnant, and then transfered my credit so that I could study with the OU. Started year 2 at the end of January and I love it. I stay at home with dd at the minute, and try to cram in as much study time as I can.

Finish your studies, you're half way there already!

MitchyInge Sun 15-Feb-09 12:13:19

the good thing about the OU is that it could be flexible enough for you to try out various voluntary/work experience placements as you go, to get a feel for the areas you are interested in working in?

niakov Sun 15-Feb-09 12:21:44

OK I see what you mean. Thanks I really have to think about it.

mamas12 Sun 15-Feb-09 22:44:45

Make up artists have even longer hours than shift workers because you are invariably first in to put the make up on before filming and then last out after a 16 hour shoot taking it all off again! Although there are studio based programmes you can work on but not creatively stimulating, so do a bit more research on that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now