Talk

Advanced search

saturday morning gymnastics - any advice would be appreciated

(7 Posts)
emsylou Sat 24-Jan-09 08:46:26

My dd is 8 and she wanted to start gymnastics club. she was on the waiting list for nearly two years. she came to the top and the only slot avaliable was ten o clock on a saturday. each week she makes up excuses as to why she cant go but when she is there she enjoys it. I dont want to feel like im making her do the club although she is really good at it when she does go. It is a very expensive club and money is tight, but that is not an issue really as if she enjoys something I will find the money. we cant do after school gym as my son has SN and comes home in a taxi tired etc. The sat morning thing is an issue for her as they are so tired from school and just want to chill. She goes to brownies and choir at school and is learning the keyboard at school. apart from this she has tried other clubs but not liked them and i have let her stop them. maybe im not encouraging her enough. dd dosent want to go today, says she has a sore throat but wants to go to sleepover that she has been invited to tonight. aaaaahhhhhh, why am I so rubbish and unable to make a simple decision about this club?? sorry about the ramble. any similar experiences and advice mumsnetters?

runnyhabbit Sat 24-Jan-09 09:00:28

Is she the same with her other activities (says she doesn't want to go, but enjoys it when she's there)

emsylou Sat 24-Jan-09 09:01:45

no brownies is the only activity she does that is not part of the school day. she loves brownies and wishes it was on every night of the week.

runnyhabbit Sat 24-Jan-09 09:10:17

mmm... not really sure what to suggest then.
Ds1 has just started swimming lessons (although he's nearly 4) He doesn't like going, but enjoys it when he's there.

Is it possible she aware of the cost, and she's trying to put you off?

emsylou Sat 24-Jan-09 09:14:16

No i dont think so as my parents would pay for it if i really couldnt afford it. i think its the effort on a sat morning that puts her off possibly. am going to speak to her again now as we have to leave in twenty mions to make it on time.

emsylou Sat 24-Jan-09 09:46:29

she says she wants to go next week, just dosent feel up to it today so am going to try gain next week and see how she feels then. thanx runnyhabbit.

mamas12 Sat 24-Jan-09 10:08:39

So thats no sleepover tonight then. Consequences are a harsh but great lesson to learn. Make it her decision i.e. if she doesn't go to gym she doesn't go on sleepover, but if she goes to gym she can go to sleepover then the decision is hers and not yours. You can do this everyweek with a.n.other thing she might like to do until she has worked out how much she really wants to do the gymnastics. All down to her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now