Talk

Advanced search

any other sites except POF?

(17 Posts)
mybumpsaboy Wed 17-Dec-08 19:15:39

Hallooo...

this is less a question for myself (I'm due my baby any day now so dating is v def the last thing on my mind at present!!!) than my best friend, though I am interested for the future...

have any single mummies had any success with online dating sites other than Plenty Of Fish? My lovely bf has met nothing but scumbags on there or guys who chat a few times then disappear (through no fault of her own as far as I can see) & it's getting her down. I know in the past, I've actually met one or 2 nice guys on POF (in the days before my ex) ...but a LOT of complete losers too. Which sites are either free, good value for money or have a high standard of users??

xx

IllegallyBrunette Wed 17-Dec-08 19:16:18

Smooch is another free one and I know someone who met a lovely bloke on there.

mybumpsaboy Wed 17-Dec-08 19:35:56

thanks sweetie x

any other suggestions guys?

PurpleOne Wed 17-Dec-08 23:33:21

friendsreuniteddating was the one I had most success with. Met a lovely guy on there 4 years ago. We only lasted 5 months, but he was nice.

I often feel that if you pay for it, then your less likely to meet the players and tossers IMVHO.

Match.com looks quite likely, also another pay for site. I've tried POF and LoopyLove, and not met anyone yet that wasn't after a shag / grope / quick fling in the dark. Often found that one date never leads onto anything more.

UnfortunatelyMe Wed 17-Dec-08 23:45:24

parentsalready, one of my mates exes has just got married and is having a baby in the new year to a bloke she met there.

lou33 Thu 18-Dec-08 00:37:35

cheekyflirt, flirtomatic, girlsdateforfree

there are always going to be men after only sex on any site tbh, it's a case of trial and error, and weeding out what you dont want

maybe making it clear in your profile about the kind of person you DONT want to contact you, as well

kat57 Thu 18-Dec-08 09:22:43

I met my fiance on Dating Direct but also had some success with Guardian Soulmates and Time Out. Also tried PoF and it wasn't bad but not as good as the others. I was prepared for plenty of disappointment and I wasn't disappointed! But my approach was always to put things down to experience and keep meeting people. The guy I've ended up with didn't seem to be a contender at all when he first emailed me - no picture and lived 200 miles away. But he's turned out to be absolutely perfect for me.

I thought that at age 50 and with a DD of 8, no-one would touch me with a barge-pole but was luckily proved quite wrong. You have to be thick-skinned though and try not to take rejection to heart. One idiot, after two dates and lots of snogging, decided he didn't want to take it any further because I was too curvy (I'm size 12). I thought "tosser" and then said "next!"

mrsmHARKTHEHERALDANGELSSINGet Thu 18-Dec-08 10:03:59

www.zoosk.com plenty of twits like any site but there are some nice ones on there xx

aseriouslyblondemoment Thu 18-Dec-08 10:23:02

Frends Reunited Dating worked for me but have heard from a friend that Match is good too.I think Kat's approach is the right one you really do need to take it all with the biggest pinch of salt!!yes even on the paying sites youll possibly encounter pervy creeps or guys who still carry issues from previous relationships.One way of working out a mans intentions and why he is doing the whole internet dating thing is to look closely at his profile and what hes looking for.Youll find the serious ones will have put some time and thought into it.

ELOB Tue 06-Jan-09 22:46:42

ive never used such sites as im only recently separated with 3 very young children and will not be interested in dating for at least 3 years. however, i will say this. my ex husband used such sites, whilst married to me and trying for more babies etc. he is very wealthy with all the material things on display if you know what i mean. anyone interested in money would notice my husband and perhaps consider him a catch. he is of mature age (51) and comes across as the most charming and sincere man you could hope to meet. and anyone would be excused for finding it hard to believe that he is a compulsive liar. he lied to these women saying he was divorced with 2 boys etc, which is true. that was his last family however. he never mentioned he was married with young children and trying for more etc. i also found out other rather sleazy unscrupulous things about my husband that just left me feeling 'dirty'. so i guess my advise would be. dont spend the night or get intimate with ANYONE no matter how good you think your judgment is until you have established some sort of lasting relationship on a regular basis, where by he hasn't let you down, left you feeling insecure or unsure and if everything he says all 'adds up' etc then take it further. there are all sorts of men out there and no doubt women too. be careful.

Youcancallmeal Sat 17-Jan-09 13:03:01

Your bf can talk to me if she likes. I'm just starting out again and have looked at the dating sites but can't really bring myself to do it!

I expect there are a lot of scumbags of both sexes on them and I don't want to looked at as some sort of male perv scumbag.

MsSpentYoof Fri 05-Jun-09 23:29:16

Bump for some new sites if anybody knows of any???

OKCupid is quite a good one

OrangeFish Mon 08-Jun-09 19:44:27

Parents Already could be good if you are in the right place... up north we only see tumbleweed roll...

However, I met a guy there who has proved a nice scrabble player.... and nothing else grin. And also a couple of very very good friends. Mind you, I was only looking for friends (plain friends) and that's exactly what I got -after-- much weeding

saltcod Wed 10-Jun-09 10:46:58

singlewithkids is another good one. Have had far more success than on POF. It's also very cheap

stardust86 Fri 12-Jun-09 14:33:11

ive just joined singlewithkids after the Shell Island camping trip (there were some fab men on the trip so i'm hoping there on the dating site too wink ). Just struggling to write my profile now.

Brad79 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:26:14

I thought about joining Plenty Of Fish the other day and got stuck at the stage to write a description. I got a bit nervous and have left it for the moment lol

starshaker Mon 15-Jun-09 17:36:45

I was thinking about joining something but have now found my self pregnant (long story) and really dont see the point as who would be interested in somebody like me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now