Advanced search

Desperately need benefit/financial/administrative/loan advice - I want to become a full time student in September.

(14 Posts)
SmugColditz Thu 30-Oct-08 12:16:33

I want to apply for a Social Work degree. Now apparently there is a bursery, but I can't find any details on one, plus I will have my benefits cut (which is fine as long as I can survive!) as I will be entitled to student loans.

1 - I need help applying to UCAS, I've never done it before.
2 - Does anyone knoww how and when to apply for student loans?
3 - How do I work out what my weekly income will be while I study? I'm terrified of NOT KNOWING stuff like that.

Currently I am a lone parent on IS, this isn't where I want to be, hence the application to uni!

needmorecoffee Thu 30-Oct-08 12:18:59

you can also get a Career Deevlopment Loan for a degree like that.
Shouldn't thejob centre be advising you?

Wilts Thu 30-Oct-08 12:23:32

I am a second year social work student.
The bursary is non means tested and is £4500 per year, you may find a link on the GSCC website, although it is now administered via the NHS.

Once you have a place at university, register on the student loans website and it will let you know when to apply for finance.

As a single parent you may be eligible for housing benefit throughout the entire year.

We are a student couple and can claim jobseekers allowance during the summer period only (not sure how it works for income support etc)

You can also get up to 85% of you childcare paid for you.

I think you will probably be better off than you think mainly because we are lucky that we can claim both the bursary and student loans.

Wilts Thu 30-Oct-08 12:24:50

Here is the info on the bursary:

SmugColditz Thu 30-Oct-08 12:24:52

I hadn't thought to ask them to be honest. I've had one meeting with the LP advisor since feb 2007, and she told me to find a job that's 20 school hours a week, or don't bother until ds2 goes to school. And that was the extent of her advice. I hadn't thought to do a degree then, I'd just got out of a horrific relationship.

Wilts Thu 30-Oct-08 12:25:36

Sorry rubbish link

Simplysally Thu 30-Oct-08 12:31:15

Re the UCAS enquiry, I don't know if you can contact your local Connexions office? It's primarily for 'young people' but they should be able to point you in the right direction for mature student advice? Or a 16+ college would have a careers advisory service. Even if you have to pay for an interview, it could pay dividents.

You will need a reference as well as a personal statement from what I can remember.

SmugColditz Thu 30-Oct-08 12:55:36

You've all given me good advice, thanks!

ElviraInanEcup Thu 30-Oct-08 13:18:14

Message withdrawn

SmugColditz Thu 30-Oct-08 13:33:32

elvira, I just sspoke to my local council, and they reckon that if my income is low enough I'll still be eligable for housing benefit - do you mind me asking how come you weren't?

Also, how much loan finance were you able to get? I can't find any information on this!

tiredemma Thu 30-Oct-08 13:36:48

Not sure if its the same Colditz but as my degree is funded by the Dept of Health (not sure who pays your fees??) I get a loan, but not the 'full amount'. I get approx £2200 a year which is in three instalments (sept/jan/apr). It is a lesser amount as I dont pay my own tuition fees.

ElviraInanEcup Thu 30-Oct-08 13:52:43

Message withdrawn

chandeller Fri 17-Mar-17 22:20:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

chandeller Sat 18-Mar-17 07:50:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: