Talk

Advanced search

How often do you just pick at your childrens leftovers rather than cook a proper meal yourself?

(23 Posts)
TheDevilWearsPrimark Sat 04-Oct-08 01:28:05

I can never eat dinner early, it has to be after 7pm which is too late for the DC.

This is fine if I've done a lasagne or one pot sort of thing, but increasingly lately I've just not bothered to cook for myself.

Once they are in bed and I've done the stuff I need to for the next day I just want to sprawl out.

Hence today I had a couple of cold potato wedges, half a corn on the cob and a few bits of fishcake. I've just had some cheese and olives as I'm starving.

I love cooking, but I really seem to be losing the energy and inclination to cook when it's just for me. Is anyone the same?

Lubyloo Sat 04-Oct-08 01:34:24

Unfortunately I eat DD's leftovers and eat dinner blush

Tinkerbel6 Sat 04-Oct-08 09:31:30

I always eat dinner with DD between 4.30-5.30pm, but that means by 9pm I'm hungry again and I'm snacking late at night blush

Tommy Sat 04-Oct-08 09:34:13

I'm like Lubyloo blush

I try to eat a banana and have a cup of tea when they're eating and not to eat their stuff but it's hard isn't it? 5pm is such a hungry time of day!

beansmum Sat 04-Oct-08 20:20:04

ds doesn't eat a thing after lunch, so I cook two portions of something yummy for dinner, he says 'that's disgusting' and I eat both portions.

Tommy Sat 04-Oct-08 20:29:09

good ploy beansmum grin

Liffey Sat 04-Oct-08 20:37:33

I sort of like that I don't have to cook a decent dinner that cuts muster every evening. When I do cook for myself it's something like I love, like a vegetable curry with brown rice and kidney beans with a blob of natural yog. I make enough for 2 dinners. My x would have spewed it out and had a tube of pringles. Rude fekker!

Some nights I do myself a Salade Nicoise which is so easy, only cook the egg, and I give the children egg and toast that day!

My x wouldn't have considered a salad dinner either btw

Tonight is not one of my cooking nights. I'm going to have a glass of wine and a twirl and a banana in a minute. grin Being single not all bad.

spicemonster Sat 04-Oct-08 20:40:02

I try really had to either eat the leftovers or throw them away and just eat my dinner. My friend swears that the best diet in the world is the kids leftover one.

I do really struggle with cooking twice and can only be arsed if he's had something easy (like ravioli and pesto) which isn't really cooking.

spicemonster Sat 04-Oct-08 20:40:34

had? hard!

ninah Sat 04-Oct-08 20:41:35

kids leftover diet not doing much for me. maybe I should remember I only have 2 dc.

hifi Sat 04-Oct-08 20:56:57

i still use a tip i found on here ages ago, squirt with washing up liquid.

MrsSnorty Sat 04-Oct-08 21:04:35

Sorry but can't understand why anyone cooks twice. DS and I eat together at about 6pm which works ok for both of us.

allgonebellyup Sun 05-Oct-08 15:26:13

i dont eat dinner

i just snack all day

Janos Sun 05-Oct-08 20:26:00

I do this too sometimes, but usually try to cook something we can both eat cos if I don't eat at the same time as DS then I'm ravenous by the time he goes to bed.

tigerlili Wed 08-Oct-08 20:37:06

One thing i have found through my divorce it really IS one hell of a diet.I actually got asked at work the other day what diet i was on, i turned round and said somewhat sarcastically the divorce diet!!The poor lady was embarressed i laughed it off as despite the emotional HELL i haven't been healthier in YEARS!!!!!!!!!!lol!

Very glad to hear to be honest i am not the only one who sorts child out and then picks. blush .

i really cannot be arsed to cook for myself after a long day at work then be about to start house chores! not a good habit i know!blush

expatinscotland Wed 08-Oct-08 20:39:07

not usually because we eat as a family, but sometimes i wish i could just pick at their leftovers.

tigerlili Wed 08-Oct-08 21:09:38

I don't why i pick, i know in my head it isn't a good idea!blush

i am just so churned up inside ALL the time i just can't eat . daft i know.blush

SmugColditz Wed 08-Oct-08 21:17:40

Too often.

I had mackerel pate and breadsticks for my tea!

And now I need dinner dinner

ivykaty44 Wed 08-Oct-08 21:20:40

I dont get dinner on the table until 7pm some nights, even at 18 months my dd would eat with us at 7pm. As she had "tea" at nursery it was supper at 7pm with us and just a small amount.

If it is a really quick dinner then it can be done by 6pm but not usual till later so we all sit and eat together, I am not cooking and clearing up twice blush lazy

Peachy Wed 08-Oct-08 21:27:46

Never, almost always eat together as dh leaves for work at 9.

He has 2 days off atm- one we're out, the other we might eat together after kids in bed

PurplePumpkinWitchyOne Wed 08-Oct-08 21:50:19

I almost always cook for me and the DD's. I also refuse to cook twice. Costs too much in electric for that. The cat usually has the 'meaty' leftovers and I'm tucking into cereal / porridge / cheese on toast by 10pm!

There's far too many women here who aint eating a fully cooked meal! Am shock by this! C'mon girls, you need the nutrition surely?

elastamum Wed 08-Oct-08 22:19:03

I only cook one meal for all of us at about 6pm. Then i treat myself to wine and chocolate and mumsnet when eveeryone is in bes grin

elastamum Wed 08-Oct-08 22:19:31

oops i meant bed! must be the wine!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: