Talk

Advanced search

'date' with a guy off of the net - what about safety?

(23 Posts)
ratbunny Fri 03-Oct-08 18:41:36

so I am meeting this guy off the net to do an activity in the forest...
what do I do about safety, I mean, I dont know who he is really. what if he is a weirdo?
any advice?

UnfortunatelyMe Fri 03-Oct-08 18:43:24

Meet him in public, have a mate ready to find you if you text her from the loo if hes not very nice/has bad breath/is a weirdo.
Talk to him on the phone beforehand?
But meet in public, definetly.

ilove Fri 03-Oct-08 18:44:00

Yes. Don't meet him in the forest shock

Meet him in Yates and have a "friend" at the next table or three over.

madlentileater Fri 03-Oct-08 18:44:37

'to do an activity in the forest'????
tell me you're joking....

Tamarto Fri 03-Oct-08 18:45:06

I met mine in my house, the closest i got was organising a phone call to my friend with a code word and one of those potatoe peelers with a sharp point stuck down the side of my chair hmm

I have no idea how i'm still alive tbh blush

Lolly68 Fri 03-Oct-08 18:45:49

I have done internet dating and the "etiquette" for first date is meet somewhere public and lay off alcohol as it could cloud your judgment (but I found a large glass of wine) helped! Tell a few people where you are.

Tamarto Fri 03-Oct-08 18:46:01

Posted too soon.

I ment to say that is what not to do, and before the 'activity' in the forest are you meeting in a public place?

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Fri 03-Oct-08 18:49:29

surely this isn't serious?

ratbunny Fri 03-Oct-08 18:56:42

no, its at an activity centre, in public.
not like biking in the forest alone

madlentileater Fri 03-Oct-08 18:57:40

hhmmm
even so, will you not be o ut of sight and hearing of other people lots of the time?

ratbunny Fri 03-Oct-08 18:57:58

ok, seemed like it was ok if in a public activity place.
should I rearrange something somewhere esle?

new to this, so really have no idea (as you can tell...)

combustiblelemon Fri 03-Oct-08 19:02:13

How about lunch?

combustiblelemon Fri 03-Oct-08 19:04:12

Preferably somewhere that, if he did kill you, it would at least be more difficult for him to hide the body.

ratbunny Fri 03-Oct-08 19:06:22

ok. it was set for this - meet in public, go to the public activity centre, do some climbing.
but I agree it there may not be enough people around, though there usually are at this place.
its not actually in the forest btw, I am not that daft. though pretty daft by the sounds of things.
now I am meeting him in a cafe.

thanks girls...

zippitippitoes Fri 03-Oct-08 19:08:30

i think an activity is an ecellent idea i went on a climbing wall on the first date

did end up in the multi storey car park tho which was deserted so probably a bit lax there but i had decided he was ok by then

the first date i met an internet guy on i did have him back to my house after shock

zippitippitoes Fri 03-Oct-08 19:10:52

lol if he killed you you would past worrying about him hiding nyour body surely

combustiblelemon Fri 03-Oct-08 19:14:09

If it was me I'd probably have done the same thing Ratbunny. Most of us do things that we'd advise someone else not to even think about.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 03-Oct-08 19:16:21

have a get out with a mate & ask them to ring/text after an hour.

leave all details u know about them incl mob no with a friend with details.

erm..

public place.
don't go away form where you said.

ninah Fri 03-Oct-08 19:35:27

hmm far from being menacing serial killer the one I met nearly bored me to death. However do agree with sensible advice above

Overmydeadbody Fri 03-Oct-08 19:41:26

ninah I've had ones like that. I tend to gulp my coffee down and nip to the loo and then disappear if that happens.

I once (stupidly) met a guy off the net by him picking me up in his car from a main road and taking me to a gig a two hour drive away hmm

He then drove me home at 2 in the morning. Luckily he wasn't too wierd and is now one of my best friends (there was never any chemistry lol).

ninah Fri 03-Oct-08 19:44:02

what a good idea. His hobby was steam trains. And he called it 'hobby' too. His mum did his ironing since his wife left him.

ElenorRigby Fri 03-Oct-08 19:46:01

On any first date I met guys in a very busy public place. About half an hour to an hour into any date I asked a relative or friend to call me "on the spur of the moment" wink to check on how I was and to give me an exit if the date was not going well.

mybumpsaboy Sun 05-Oct-08 21:09:01

combustiblelemon .... That post about "somewhere that if he did kill you it would be less easy to dispose of the body" ACTUALLY made me laugh more than I have in months. Thank you for making my day

And to the OP: Yeah, forests are definitely a no-go. As are cinemas generally (unless you want to get stuck midway down a row with high potential for unwanted gropage) :p

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now