Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you manage to exercise?

(22 Posts)
cantpickyourfamily Fri 03-Oct-08 09:00:32

I never get the chance to go to the gym as all the classes I want to do are in the evening and do not want to take dd out at 6pm just so I can exercise.

And I have not got anyone that can come to my house to look after dd. So I a,m just wondering how anyone else manages?

beansprout Fri 03-Oct-08 09:01:53

I walk just about everywhere.

missingtheaction Fri 03-Oct-08 09:03:53

go skiing - regularly, once a year

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 03-Oct-08 09:17:03

I've downloaded the body combat DVD's for the evenings for an hour sesh, but also my gym does day classes so I do 3 a week, and DS has 3 sessions in their creche (might be worth looking at a diff gym which has a creche - mine's £2 for an hour, or £2.50 for 1.5 hours) which around here is cheaper than a group.

also walk the dogs & to groups as well, & go swimming with DS. oh and dancing in the front room - never under estimate that esp if you've got a toddler on your front as well!

allgonebellyup Fri 03-Oct-08 09:35:07

walk/ run everywhere!!

brightwell Fri 03-Oct-08 09:43:05

I work shifts so I'm able to go during the day when my dc are at school and I take them to the family sessions, my dc are 10 & 14.

gillybean2 Fri 03-Oct-08 09:48:36

No time for gym at local sports centre as I work in the day and evening sessions are too late to be dragging my ds out and they don't offer a creche in the evening or at weekends! Don't fancy having him sat there in his PJ's at 8pm at night, though I'm sure he'd be quite happy on his nintendo ds lite...

Tried doing cycling and going for a walk with ds. It's ok for a bit but he gets tired and fed up and that makes it miserable for me! Plus I am always rushing from one thing to the next so really finding time for it was difficult.

Would love a solution as well but as I rarely find time for housework I don't see where I can add half an hour of exercise into my day in reality. If i had half an hour spare I'd probably need to work during that as the money would be more useful right now! In fact i did squeeze half an hour into my work day because I managed to get a parking space right next to my office, so now I work half an hour extra rather than walking that half an hour to and from teh further away car park...

Exercise time would be great, but in the reality of my juggling act of a life there simply isn't time any more. When i was a SAHM and he was at play school i used to go regularly though!

trumpetgirl Fri 03-Oct-08 10:32:04

I have a bike and try to cycle everywhere. Used to have a trailer/buggy thingy when dd was little. Could get some shopping in there too
DD is now 5 and we go for a cycle every weekend (weather permitting)

kate34 Fri 03-Oct-08 11:03:10

I have one of those trampoline rebounder running on the spot things. Feels like a proper run & good cardiovascular exercise-get sweaty etc.but without impact problems for knees. Doesn't take up alot of space & I store mine under bed. DD 4 so pop a dvd on for her while I go on rebounder in same room for half an hour 3 or 4 times a week. Really keeps me in shape & feel great afterwards. Sometimes have to get on & off to get DD a drink etc but is the only way I can fit it in. Usually before dinner on days I'm not working. Cost about £40 in Argos but one off cost. Had to upgrade ancient running shoes too but all in all worthwhile. Couldn't handle a gym personally-like to do it in privacy of own home in ancient leggings & t-shirt! Ipod helps relieve boredom!

cantpickyourfamily Fri 03-Oct-08 16:56:06

I am really unmotivated to do it alone and the classes are the only way I will push myself...

I will have to find out if there is a creche at my gym, also I'm going to see if my 17 year old brother will come after college and look after dd for an hour a couple of times a week in return for one of his fav dinners cooked by me... wink

cantpickyourfamily Fri 03-Oct-08 17:01:27

spandex - where did you download the bodycombat dvd from? abd is it free or do you have to pay??

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 03-Oct-08 17:03:11

ahem, it's a BT torrent site my X uses. it's on my laptop thou so I burnt it to DVD (or well will do once he shows me how to do it! blush) for now I use it on my laptop.

it's free to use thou.

Pinkchampagne Fri 03-Oct-08 17:03:59

I don't really, but don't drive so walk everywhere, and run about after the children! That and the odd bit of sex are my only exercise!!grin

mustrunmore Fri 03-Oct-08 17:40:22

I manage to get 3 aerobics classes a week; used to take ds2 in the buggy asleep, but now he's grown out of that, so I can only go daytimes on a Wed when he is at nursery. I take ds1 in the evening; he loves it. He's getting very co ordinated. But i do have to leave ds2 with dh.So that leads to alot of irregularity cos he works all the hours under the sun (boys often dont see him for 4 or 5 days at a time due to shifts). But its lovely friendly church-hall aerobics, so alot of vried class times during the week, and she doesnt mind having kids running round!

When I'm alone (alot of the time!), I have a treadmill and a dance pole at home, for when they're asleep.

I also walk everywhere I can rather than take the bus, make sure I'm on the playframe with them in the park blush, I do 100 crunches and 50 squats before bed every night.

I'm actually much more inspired if I've got a crush on someone too blushwink, so creating one in your head might help!!

neva Fri 03-Oct-08 18:20:37

I also walk everywhere and run when I have to. Having no car is a great way to keep in trim. Also have a mini trampoline.

ShyBaby Fri 03-Oct-08 23:25:01

You've got to be kidding right?

I cant afford the gym and dont have babysitters.

I dont have the energy to follow a workout video.

I dont do any exercise. Im at work most of the day, I dont have my tea until about 10pm every night because im normally doing stuff, and if im not I cant eat when dd is awake because she will not leave me alone. Then im too tired to prepare a lovely healthy meal (although I love healthy food).

So no answer im afraid. I am a bit porky and not toned at all grin

cantpickyourfamily Sun 05-Oct-08 08:45:52

mustrunmore - you sound sooo dedicated... I think you sound change your nickname tho as you do so much exercise that you really don't sound like you need to run more... lol

How old are your dc's?

DD is 14months so maybe when she is older it will be easier...

cantpickyourfamily Sun 05-Oct-08 08:46:48

Shybaby - I know exactly how you feel as my dd never gives me a minute either, how old is your dd?

glitterfairy Sun 05-Oct-08 09:39:05

I do three hours minimum at the moment per week.

I go before they are up to swim, the gym whilst they are at ballet (they have a kids gym and my youngest goes there whilst I am at the adults gym) and running/walking at least once a week on a Saturday, I leave them at home. My eldest is 13 nearly 14 and my Dad lives round the corner so an hour or so alone is not a problem.

I work full time have three kids and am starting a PhD so it is possible even with a full on schedule.

As they get older it gets easier. smile

mustrunmore Sun 05-Oct-08 10:07:41

Thanks, but I dont feel at all dedicated! The boys are 2.7 and 5 next month. It does get much easier asd they get older though, I promise. Even just in your head! And btw, I Do need to run much much more.

Von73wirral Sun 05-Oct-08 10:32:07

i try to get to the gym 3 times a week although the past 2 weeks something else has always come up. have a dvd at home may start using that

Tinkerbel6 Sun 05-Oct-08 10:42:50

I dance once a week and also walk round the corner from parking the car to the school, its not much but its a little excercise which is better than nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now