Talk

Advanced search

How the hell?

(11 Posts)
PurpleOne Thu 11-Sep-08 19:21:19

Am I supposed to locate, and then get an appt with a solicitor in just 4 working days?

Got 2 summons this morning. One for the 18th (next Thurs)
and another for 18th October (Saturday) [hmmm]

Is it possible to find a solicitor in such a short space of time??

sillybillybee Thu 11-Sep-08 19:27:42

You CAN do it but its hard. I received a summons which by the time it reached me gave me less than a weeks notice. If you can get any recommendations then do or ask on here tonight for some. Once you have the number of a solicitor phone up first thing tomorrow and explain that you have a summons for court next week and you need to see someone tomorrow. In my case I got an appointment 2 days before the hearing but my solicitor simply 'wrote' (I think faxed or whatever) to the court explaining it wasn't possible to attend due to the short notice and the hearing was rearranged.
Sorry a bit long-winded.

sillybillybee Thu 11-Sep-08 19:31:38

If you cannot get any recommendations, try here.

PurpleOne Thu 11-Sep-08 19:33:46

Thanks, SBB.

That's exactly what I thought, that it's too short notice.

The one thing that is filling me with dread, is walking in there by myself, without any representation and support, as I will be pleading guilty.

sillybillybee Thu 11-Sep-08 19:41:28

I don't know your situation even if you have posted on here about it, I am NOT asking for details btw BUT there is no need for going in there alone. Please do find a solicitor first thing tomorrow though, you may have to try a few but if you explain the urgency someone should see you. Even if you can only get an appointment early next week rather than tomorrow it will take some of the worry away.
Just another thought, if no solicitors are willing to see you could you phone the court for advice on finding a solicitor before the hearing etc?
Hope it all works out for you

misi Thu 11-Sep-08 20:27:15

depending on what it is for, there should be a part of the summons that explains what to do if you need more time. I received a notice from a court to attend a hearing on the debts my ex run up on out business that I had no knowledge of till the court summons came through. as it was 7 days away I called them and asked and they told me to send a letter whicg I did and I got 14 days extension (it was then adjourned for 30 days after that) have a look to see if there is anything within the documents to say what you need to do or if not and you can't get a solicitor this quick, call the clerk of the court and ask how you go about delaying as 4 days is not enough and is probably contrary to section 8 (I think) of the human rights guff about the right to a fair 'trial' 'hearing' etc

sillybillybee Fri 12-Sep-08 20:51:49

Hi was just wondering how you'd got on, hope you're ok

PurpleOne Sat 13-Sep-08 02:44:18

It looks like CAB for me on Monday. The only one to offer an appt straight off the bat said Friday next week.
I will be ringing the court first thing as they may have mentors /Mckenzie friends there.
Not so worried about the representation side of things. Just don't want to go in alone as it's my first time in a court and am seriously shitting myself now.

Tinkerbel6 Sat 13-Sep-08 10:44:03

PO if you cant get a friend I will go with you, wouldnt want you to go in on your own, let me know

PurpleOne Sat 13-Sep-08 15:01:49

Tinkerbel

Thankyou for your wonderful and generous offer. I will email you x x

Tinkerbel6 Sun 14-Sep-08 09:46:51

*runs off and checks email*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now