Talk

Advanced search

dd (6yo) is sad because she is not a baby anymore and thinks nobody loves her now

(11 Posts)
MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 21:57:39

she doesn't think she's cute and cuddly anymore.

She was very sad tonight because she was over tired. She had a tantrum and I said if she hit or kicked me again no story.. she did so no story..

Before she went to sleep we made up and had a kiss and cuddle but I still sad no story.

Thought she had gone to sleep but a while later she came down sobbing her heart out.. she said it was because she had really been looking forward to the next chapter in the story and she had been singing 'Somewhere over the rainbow' to herself (I used to sing it to her all the time) and it made her sad because I don't sing it much anymore and she doesn't think I love her sad because she's not a baby anymore.

We talked and cuddled loads and it's all fine now but she tries so hard to please all the time.. I really worry about her.

And sometimes I feel sad that I have nobody to give me a cuddle and some reassurance. Sorry there's no real point to this thread, just an offload I guess.

Twims Wed 10-Sep-08 21:59:11

((hugs))

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 22:04:49

thanks, feel a right wuss lol

daffodill6 Wed 10-Sep-08 22:06:07

IME she's probably tired due to starting school again, and also slowly realising she is growing up....but finds it hard to deal with . my dd was the same ...and still has some difficulties with it.

Each new phase or challenge for them really is ..new and different and they all react differently.

Give her and yourself lots of cuddles cos its a journey for everyone

MascaraOHara Wed 10-Sep-08 22:10:02

Yeah I think she's just over tired..

she loves school and has already been put up 2 reading levels in the week she has been back.. so nice to see this years teacher can actually see what she's capable of.

Think I have been putting emphasis on the fact that "she's so clever" and "such a big girl now" because she always aspired to be abig girl.. maybe now she sees herself as a big girl she thinks she's missing out on something.

We are very close cos it's just me and her, and we cuddle all the time so I know there's nothing behind it iykwim but I do worry about her desperation for approval all the time sad I worry more for when she's older iykwim

LilRedWG Wed 10-Sep-08 22:15:16

Maybe try telling her that you are so proud of her because she is such a big girl, but that she will always be your baby.

My Mum still refers to me a,s "the baby" even though I'm 34 and it used to bug me when I was a teenager, but I quite like it now.

MascaraOHara Thu 11-Sep-08 08:43:36

Thanks Lil Red, it's funny cos I do actually call her my baby iykwim.. we kind of joke that even when she is grown up and got babies of her own she will still be my baby.

She woke up with the hump this morning but said sorry for being grumpy later on.

She looks very tired today sad and Ifeel worn out

Tinkerbel6 Thu 11-Sep-08 09:34:19

MOH don't feel guilty, you gave your daughter a chance to behave herself and she never so went without, she is now trying to make you feel guilty and it has worked as you have come on here and posted. You need to find out why she thinks sge will miss out on something if she is no longer regarded as a baby, my dd is 7 and I still cuddle her and tell her that even though she is a big girl she is still my baby.

surreylady Thu 11-Sep-08 09:49:04

My DD also 6 told me as we went into school today that she knows she will always be my baby even when she is big - she was starring longingly into the 6th form common room at the time! I think they just need this as security at this age - although to be fair she always will be.......

Egg Thu 11-Sep-08 09:53:01

My DS1 (2.5) sobbed to me the other day that he doesn't want to grow up sad.

piratecat Thu 11-Sep-08 09:54:28

Oh i' sorry youhad a rough evening. Bedtimes are the bain of our life here.

Do you fing it hard sometimes to seperate what might be just 'normal' 6 yr old tears, form 'oh my dd hasn't a daddy at home', I do. it gets confusing, and i bet your heart breaks.

I am finding that dd is very weepy atm, like her emotional awareness has gone up a notch. She has been v upset beofre going onto class the past 2 mornings.

Maybe it'shard for them, now they are back at school, tired and settling in again?

Def understand how you feel that you need re assurance too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now