Talk

Advanced search

I need some advice and help please..

(6 Posts)
AllieBongo Sat 06-Sep-08 14:06:53

My lovely sister is sadly about to become a single parent. As they are quite well off (well with him still there anyway, her earning are about £6k and she works 11hrs a week) she doesn't think she will receive any financial help. They are not selling the house, it is his choice to leave, so he will still pay the mortgage so the girls will keep their home. Can anyone let me know what she would be entitled to help with.
Thanks in advance, I just want to try and help her in any way I can.

AllieBongo Sat 06-Sep-08 14:22:05

anyone?

anastaisia Sat 06-Sep-08 14:37:30

She should be able to get Child Tax Credits anyway, they may already get something but it will probably go up when her income goes down because ex leaves.

Would it be possible for her to increase her hours to 16 a week?
If she did that then she would be able to claim Working Tax Credits. That would mean she'd be able to get help with other things like prescriptions etc.

If you work less than 16 hours a week you only get income support as far as I know. IS works very differently to WTC and its a pain to manage alongside an income (well, I found anyway). She'd need to speak to a lone parent advisor at a job centre.

She should check out the entitledto website which if you have a straight forward situation is good at giving a idea of what help there is.

It might be advisable for her to look into what will happen if her ex pays for the mortage allone. Is she at risk of losing equity in the house? Is there anyway of protecting herself? - I'm not too sure about this area because I've never owned a home! But if he can prove he alone was paying for the house could it influence later decisions on how to divide joint money? And even if he says not now, his situation might change over time.

AllieBongo Sat 06-Sep-08 14:48:32

thanks anastasia, that's really helpful. someone did mention the 16hr thing. I would gladly help with her 2 if she needed to work a little extra to get help.it's so hard as ahe's hurting so much and i cannot do anything to take it away

salo Sun 07-Sep-08 07:09:40

hi
in a similar situation, working 18 hrs, but moving out myself. would really advise seeing a solicitor. many do free drop in sessions. also mediation can help with practical / financial things.
i got the impression that you got a lot more assistance if you worked less than 16 hrs and claimed income support, but you need to get her down to the council for some advice re housing. from what i've read on the internet you can claim help with interest only payments on your mortgage.
she really needs to check it out cos it may be actually better not to increase her hours at teh moment!
i looked at a few lone parent sites like gingerbread
he must be quite a decent bloke to carry on paying the mortgage.
good luck - let us know how you all get on
xx

twoboys1384 Sun 14-Sep-08 21:56:57

I also need some advice, anyone?

I'm almost 26weeks pregnant and mum to a 22month old.
My partner and i had problems last year but he swore it was just cold feet and that he'd been really stupid, by suggesting us break up....blah blah blah!
So things got alot better, he wanted to try for another baby which was fine, as i wanted my children reasonably close together.
Now though he wants out, one minute he wants to just live seperatly but still be an item as he wanted space.
Then now apparently he has no fight left and just wants us to seperate.
I know it might be for the best but still kind of hope he'll change his mind....as i love him and don't think things are half as bad as he says!
Meanwhile i can't stop crying and don't know what to do, i told him that i think its best he moves out today but really don't want him to.
I just can't share a house with him as by him being here it makes me tink that there is still hope when he cuddles up or suggests a film etc.
I don't know how i'm going to cope though as i know my family will automatically hate him for leaving, especially whilst i'm pregnant and suffering with a painful hernia. I just kind of want them all to get along so that if he decides to come back to me we won't have that to deal with....How will i tell them and what shall i do?
Can anyone offer advice????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now