Talk

Advanced search

Would you bother to have a relationship with someone who you knew wouldn't ever take on your kids ??

(304 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 20:53:33

Just wondering about this because of my other thread.

I don't expect any bloke I meet to launch into dad mode and promise to be there for me and my children for all eternity, but at the same time, I don't see the point of starting anything with a bloke who catergorically states that he doesn't want to take on another mans kids.

How about you ?

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 20:54:38

No - I wouldn't. If they're not interested in my kids, then they can go and take a flying jump off a very large building..

Snaf Tue 26-Aug-08 20:55:47

No.

believeintheboogie Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:22

never

muggglewump Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:46

By ever do you mean ever?
That sounds silly I know but I would never take on dependent children, yet a guy with grown up kids I'd consider.
If DD was say, 15 and close to being independent, yes I'd consider dating a guy that didn't want to be a father figure but accepted I have a daughter.
That made sense in my head anyway

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:49

Good, glad you said that. Was starting to think I was being odd.

Pinkchampagne Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:56

If they came out with a line like that, then no.
I don't expect anyone to take on my children as their own though, as they have a dad, but they must understand that my children are part of me & accept that.

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 26-Aug-08 20:58:13

Oh my, no. What on Earth would be the point? All well and good for a quick boff behind the bikesheds, but I wouldn't want to bother getting to know him, except as a friend.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 20:58:50

Not sure muggle. Tbh i think it would still be a no no forn me if my kids were older and a bloke said he wasn't interested in being part of their lives.

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 20:59:20

3 1/2 months ago when I went for my first night out after ex moved out it was quite interesting with all the male attention I got blush - talking about ourselves, blah blah blah, and I@ve got 3 kids........amazing how some "went to the bar" (or toilet) and never returned.....

I only went out to flirt (or possibly get a shag for the night) ended up not shagging anyone (that night wink) but am still seeing them now!

solidgoldbrass Tue 26-Aug-08 20:59:26

Depends. THere's nothing wrong with having a relationship (ie meeting fairly regularly for drinks/dinner/sex) with someone who doesn't like children and doesn't want to meet yours: do you insist that every single friend you make has to spend time with your DC? A lighthearted shagging friendship is far better than trying to coax or coerce someone into Daddy mode against his will.
Be wary in general of getting into the 'I'm looking for a life partner' mindset, it does attract cocklodgers and bullies.

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 21:01:21

but the even meeting regularly for drinks/dinner/sex has to be worked around the children if you're single - so there IS still an element of the children being "involved" so to speak surely???

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 21:05:18

Exactly FAQ, a relationship worked around children would be hard to organise. Now if it were the beginning of a relatioship where it could go either way, then yes, putting time and effort into that for a while before they net kids etc is fine, but start a relationship knowing that they don't want to ever take on your kids is pointless in my book.

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 21:06:46

my views too IB

oh and we're all having a "sleepover" at DP's house tomorrow night, they're spending the afternoon tomorrow on his Xbox360, we're having takeaway burgers for dinner then watching a disney movie in the evening with them with popcorn and hot chocolate shock grin

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 21:07:00

Have just LOL at myself starting this thread, like I actually have the option of any relationship in the first place.

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 21:07:51

why don't you have the option IB?

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 21:07:53

Oh that sounds fab smile

Does your new man have a single brother wink

Snaf Tue 26-Aug-08 21:08:21

It's not about 'Daddy mode' though - my ds already has a daddy, for one thing. I would want a bloke for me, not for my children, but it would be like living a double life to have to keep a partner totally separate. It would be as if he didn't accept me, tbh

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 21:08:38

no I'm afraid not - just a happily married sister lol.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 21:09:20

Oh just meant that I don't have anyone interested anyway, either way.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 26-Aug-08 21:09:50

Yep thats exactly it Snaf.

WideWebWitch Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:09

Nope

Dh#2 is as responsible for ds (from dh#1) as I am and takes full responsibilty for bringing him up with me.

FAQ Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:24

yes spot on Snaf smile

Anna8888 Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:52

What do you mean by "take on your kids"?

I'm a stepmother and I do masses of caring/bringing up of my stepsons, but I do not ever expect to support them financially. That would be very unreasonable - any man or woman who refuses to support his/her partner's children from a previous relationship is just being reasonable.

muggglewump Tue 26-Aug-08 21:11:26

I think the thing for me is that I won't date until DD is older, at least old enough for no babysitter (don't have one now even if I wanted one) and by then "taking her on" is different to how it is now, same with me for any grown up kids they may have.
A guy who wanted nothing to do with her ever, of course not, but a guy who didn't want to be a father figure, yes possibly.
I have 9 or so years to think about this though so no rush!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now