Advanced search

What can I expect as a LP on benefits?

(13 Posts)
DesperatelyPathetic Wed 20-Aug-08 20:40:23

Just split with P, have no real option but to go on to benefits. How do I do this? What can I expect? I can't afford the rent on our current home, how quickly can I be housed? I can stay with family until I am found somewhere and I have to give 2 months notice so have some time.

DesperatelyPathetic Wed 20-Aug-08 20:45:01

Please help me sad

gillybean2 Wed 20-Aug-08 20:48:31

Depending on the rent and size of the house you might get housing benefit to cover some if not all of it.

You can also claim income support and will get your child benefit too.

Look on to see what you may be able to claim and speak to your CAB office (Citizen's Advice) to see what they say about your circumstances and what you should do.

Von73wirral Wed 20-Aug-08 20:51:19

You will get income support as a lone parent and child tax credits (have to apply for seperately) and as Gillybean2 says you may get all your rent paid for you and council tax depending on your current rent.

DesperatelyPathetic Wed 20-Aug-08 20:53:09

I tried and housing benefit doesn't cover the rent. I need to go on full benefits I think.

I don't work and my DS is only 4 months old, even going back to work I couldn't afford to support us as I am only a PA.

mankymummy Wed 20-Aug-08 20:53:49

go to your local job centre plus and see a lone parent advisor. they will sort everything out for you and tell you what you are entitled to. good luck.

DesperatelyPathetic Wed 20-Aug-08 20:58:02

Do you know what will happen if I am homeless? Which I will be in about 2 months at best.

expatinscotland Wed 20-Aug-08 21:02:16

depends on your council's homeless policy.

has he moved out (your parnter). if so you can apply for housing/council tax benefit right now.

some councils make your landlord go through formal eviction procedings before you can be considered truly, involuntarily homeless, depending on the split with your parter.

some will then house you in temporary accommodation (a flat, a house, a B&B) until a permanent home becomes available, some have housing available straightaway, it really depends.

please see a housing officer to get more details.

DesperatelyPathetic Wed 20-Aug-08 21:28:00

Oh god. I wish this wasn't happening.

He doesn't live here anymore, will speak to the housing benefit people now. Do I have to wait to be evicted? Can't I just give my landlord notice?

expatinscotland Wed 20-Aug-08 21:28:57

please see a housing officer asap.

you may not have to leave at all.

you may get housing benefit in your own right.

is his name on the tenancy agreement?

FAQ Wed 20-Aug-08 21:32:51

FWIW - I found the entitled to calculations completely wrong - I get more money than they said I would be entitled to (quite a bit more).

Not working you would on IS - you would probably get:

£60 a week IS
Child Benefit (whatever that figure is now - I just know how much I get for my 3 every 4 weeks)
Would probably qualify for Council Tax Benefit (I don't pay any CT)
Housing benefit (maybe not all of it but at least some of it).
CTC - think it works out at around £45 a week.

When H moved out I didn't think I'd be able to afford to stay here - but I have (and will continue to do so)

gillybean2 Thu 21-Aug-08 09:21:53

If you give notice to the landlard you make yourself voluntarily homeless. You won't get priority on the housing list if you do that.

Go see the CAB, lone parent advisor and get all teh info you need asap befor eyou speak to the benefit people. They only give you what you ask for so make sure you know exactly what you can ask for first!

Von73wirral Thu 21-Aug-08 11:00:21

First of all do not give your landlord any notice, he cannot evict you without good reason. Explain to him what is going on and get your claim in for housing benefit ASAP as it goes from the date you claim not the date you became single parent.

If you goto you will find out how to apply for benefits. I presume you are already getting your child benefit and you need to as advised see a lone parent advisor who will tell you everything.

Also put your claim into the CSA to get maintenance from the guy who left you alone with your child to help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: