Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

All Alone!

(12 Posts)
Gem1355 Mon 14-Feb-05 15:48:55

Hi i'm 33+1 weeks PG with my first child, baby's dad has been dithering since i found out we were Pg weather he wants to be there or not, (we broke up about 2 months before i found out), he decided last week he couldn't cope with the responsibility of being a dad and it's completely broke me. I was expecting it really but i still feel really hurt. He's agreed topay child support, but wot other benefits am i entitled to?

misdee Mon 14-Feb-05 15:50:27

child tax credit, income support and child benefit. talk to the CAB.

Gem1355 Mon 14-Feb-05 15:52:23

How long do i have to get all of these sorted? as the CAB in my area only work from about 9-2 and i work 9-4 i don't go on maternity till March 14th.

Beansmum Mon 14-Feb-05 15:59:04

and housing benefit
I was in a similar situation to you, broke up with ds's dad when I found I was pg, he isn't involved at all now.

You will be able to sort everything out once you go on maternity leave, they can backpay anything that you are entitled to. Try here for info about the different benefits

Gem1355 Mon 14-Feb-05 16:00:58

I've been to my housing association on the waiting list only 60 months to wait for a place, i'm really tempted that once baby is born to pack a few bags and go down there and say i've been kicked out and have no where to go!

Thanx beansmum for the link!

Beansmum Mon 14-Feb-05 16:02:44

I know someone who did have nowhere to live, they just put her in a b&b for months! this was with a tiny baby. they are pretty crap, just keep hassling them.

Gem1355 Mon 14-Feb-05 16:04:51

Tried that but as my parents own a 4 bed property they won't budge, but the 3 bed is my room and i can fit my single bed the moses basket and 1 chester drawer in. the 4th is even smaller so is being used as the study!

If they put me in a B&B i'll just kick up and say no place for a baby to live or something!

Kelly1978 Mon 14-Feb-05 16:22:32

Councils can be very resiliant where accomodation is concerned. I was lucky that I got a refuge place, because I was faced with a b&b with a young toddler and a baby on the way.

I had a lot of people fighting to get me rehoused for medical and psychological reasons, but even at the top of the list it still took 6 months of living in hell.

Gem1355 Mon 14-Feb-05 16:26:28

It really bugs me coz i know people who are single, have no children and seem to get a place like that, i'm single but have a baby on the way in 7 weeks and i have to wait months! or i have to look for private accomodation but i can't afford the deposit let alone the rent each month on my own, i asked if they would help out and they said not really!!

somebody Mon 14-Feb-05 16:51:08

Message withdrawn

Kelly1978 Mon 14-Feb-05 16:56:02

It is a nightmare situation and the system is never fair. If you claim income support though, you can get a social fund loan which you might be able to use for a deposit. It is often difficult to find soemwhere that will take people on benefits though.
It can help if you can get your family to back up saying they want you out of their property, without having do declare yourself as homeless and face living in a b&b. otherwise you could be waiting indefinately. I have a friend who is still at her mothers with a baby, waiting to be able to get affordable housing with her partner. her baby is about 18mnths now.

HappyMumof2 Mon 14-Feb-05 19:00:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now