Advanced search

benefits question please , need help

(15 Posts)
cheeryface Mon 11-Aug-08 12:24:01

can anyone give me a rough idea of how much i would get, living in a privately rented house with two children and not working???

i am assuming there would be income support and housing benefit ??

I need to get an idea before i land myself in evenn more hardship


Tortington Mon 11-Aug-08 12:25:13


benefits won't necessarily pay all your rent - so beware

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 11-Aug-08 12:29:42

Find out if your council will pay your rent, but honest to God, if you already have a job, don't leave it in the mistaken belief that you would be better off - you won't be.

Income support is £60 a week, Child tax credit for someone with 2 kids on income support is about £80 a week (I think)

cheeryface Mon 11-Aug-08 12:31:28

no, i dont have a job. and at the moment living with dp, with no other childcare, i am better off not working

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 11-Aug-08 12:44:20

You won't be if you are a single parent though, so if leaving him can be delayed (ie he's not abusive) do try to find childcare and a job first, because you will be much much much better off.

cheeryface Mon 11-Aug-08 12:52:42

right o.k, thanks. thats the sort of stuff i'm needing to know
any info gratefully accepted

cheeryface Mon 11-Aug-08 12:54:16

i could only earn minimum wage tho probably. i mean how the hell would i afford rent and everything like that??

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 11-Aug-08 13:03:55

for 20 hours a week on the minimum wage you'll be £60 a week better off, and that allows for your rent too.

You will be better off, and it's easier to find work when you're not single already.

ChopsTheDuck Mon 11-Aug-08 13:09:42

housing benefit has changed now. As a single mum you would be entitled to income support, council tax benefit and housing benefit. the governement now sets maximum housing benefit payable based on area and needs. see here If your property costs more than that you will have to pay the difference. If it is less, you are allowed to keep a little of the money.

elkiedee Mon 11-Aug-08 13:26:43

Also, how old are your children? If you find a minimum wage job you should be able to get some help with childcare costs. Are you looking to stay near where you live now or to move to a different area? Might also be worth looking into childcare options, and if children are young, trying to get them on to nursery waiting lists, for example.

FAQ Mon 11-Aug-08 13:28:58

TGBP - it's not strictly true that you will be better off - if I were to work 20hrs a week on the minimum wage I would be worse off.........and have no-one to look after DS1 during the school holidays....

cheeryface Mon 11-Aug-08 13:32:31

well, thats what i was thinking faq. my kids are 12 and 9.
my mil used to live next door, she has now moved and rents the house out.
my grand plan was that she rent me the house.

we have stuck it out for so long for the sake of the kids really, and this way i thought wouldnt be as bad for them.

FAQ Mon 11-Aug-08 13:37:32

it would depend on the childcare available in your local area for children that age - round here there's one scheme for children my DS1's age (nearly 8) - which has a massive waiting list (been told by several people I would be lucky to get him into it by the time he's 10!) and childminders that could take all 3 of my DC are extremely few and far between (and the otherside of town with no viable way of getting to them).

I've already put DS1's name down on the waiting list despite the fact that I don't intend to return to work until DS3 starts nursery/school (he's just turned 1)!

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 11-Aug-08 13:54:01

Ahhh yes. I was rather thinking of the childminder option.

beckykj Mon 11-Aug-08 14:33:39

I had my lone parent interview last week and got told i would be £20 a week better off if i was working, i can earn £20 a week anyway, so makes no differance.
Childcare is a big factor stopping me going to work, i cannot find a place for my ds anywhere, he was down for a place but the nursery closed down, the only other nursery has a very long waiting list and will be September 2009 before there is a place, and no childminders have places around here at the moment. My dd starts school this year but then who will look after her in the holidays and my ds is 2.9.
Oh and btw i get £90 a week ctc, £60.50 income support, child benefit and £5 a week maintenence

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: