Talk

Advanced search

where do I start? My ex used to do all this stuff

(13 Posts)
raisinbran Tue 29-Jul-08 12:08:39

I move back to the UK Thursday and despite having to find a house to rent a car to buy plus furniture etc.

I have to sort out a mobile phone package,( I won a Blackberry here but its still in the box as i didn't get connection due to returning to the UK)

As well as buy a TV( whats the difference between plasma/LCD) and DVD plus internet connection. I haven't a clue were to start or what is a good deal. my ex used to do all this side of things.

I've also heard bad reports about the Sky packages and customer service.

Prettyfull Tue 29-Jul-08 12:13:19

Hi, im not the best on these things but can tell you what i have. For tv and internet i am with Virgin Media. I was with Tiscalli (home choice) but there were a complete nightmare,...so i switched to Sky and they were even worse with lack or service and terrible "customer service"

For my mobile im with O2 and pay £15 per month pay as you go, with that i get the £15 credit as well as unlimted texts and call to O2 number.

I dunno the diff between plama LCD etc lol sorry

hth

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 29-Jul-08 12:14:25

Message withdrawn

ConstanceWearing Tue 29-Jul-08 15:00:56

My dp says don't buy plasma as they are on their way out and will be replaced by something else soon (hi-definition?) Sorry hopeless with this nonsense.

I've got virgin media TV, phone & internet. They aren't bad.

gillybean2 Tue 29-Jul-08 16:52:15

Maybe post in dadsnet with questions about which is the best kind of tv etc, you might get some help though don't count on it as they have some very odd threads in there!

piratecat Tue 29-Jul-08 20:46:07

i pay £30 a month for about 6oo mins talk, internet connection and about 11000 texts. thats with orange,

tv, not a clue, as we don't even get channel 5 where i live!!

turquoise Tue 29-Jul-08 20:51:49

Have a look on moneysavingexpert.com for good advice on utilities, phone packages etc.

I have the sky tv/phone/broadband deal for £24 a month and they've been pretty good so far (was originally with Tiscali when I moved back to the Uk as a single parent too - but they are not good.)

turquoise Tue 29-Jul-08 20:52:42

Also Uswitch.com is another good comparison website.

raisinbran Wed 30-Jul-08 06:39:35

Thanks everyone some good suggestions.

(Point taken NDTH)

Flightputsonahat Wed 30-Jul-08 06:59:47

Whatcar website has lists of the top five in terms of reliability etc, it was ace when I had to help my parents choose a new model. They wanted a Fiat but I told them it really does stand for Fix It Again Tony, and we got a Ford instead - read the reviews then go for best price/ special offers.

Petrol is dear atm so MPG a consideration, lol. (Miles per gallon!)

Honda and Ford both pretty good.

House to rent, go to Rightmove.co.uk, they have millions, most of the agents advertise through them, check properties listed within 24 hours and your price range etc, then save the search to get a daily (or more) email so you don't miss nuttin' wink

I found ours this way, it wasn't even on the agent's own site yet it was so quick. I was the first to call and we live here smile

Best of luck, I have an ordinrio old TV so no help there!

Flightputsonahat Wed 30-Jul-08 07:02:14

Oh and get some tools if you can. I'm presuming he was the one who fixed stuff and put up pictures etc, well I can help you with that kind of stuff if you ever get stuck. I have brilliant tool box. All the guys who come here to fix things raid my toolbox grin

NotDoingTheHousework Wed 30-Jul-08 07:56:06

Message withdrawn

raisinbran Wed 30-Jul-08 22:17:05

NDTH, Please don't feel bad. The good thing about mumsnet, is you get all points of few.My post was self centred and insensitive to others in a much worse position. Thanks for the info.

Flight, more useful advice as well.

I am a little overwhelmed as I just have my mum and as I am an only child no men to ask for advice (although my friend is good at catching spiders!)Plus you can't beat personal recommendations/experience

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now